Egg and Chips was always a favourite of mine as a child. I remember it as a lunchtime treat when I would stay at my Grandmother’s house. So I then thought what a great dinner it could be but, as always, I wanted to make it slightly healthier. The posh part is the tomato sauce I use as a base before I cook the eggs in the oven.
Eggs make a brilliant meal and they are an inexpensive high quality protein. In this house, we love omelettes and pancakes and we also love them fried, pouched and boiled. My son especially likes scrambled eggs for his breakfast in the morning. Which, as a mother, pleases me very much. Eggs are a great source of vitamins, minerals and nutrients. They are rich in several nutrients that promote heart health.
The recipe is super and it doesn’t take much time. It’s a great family meal but can also be good if you’re single or in a couple. You can adapt the recipe to suit your needs. Plus the bonus is it’s comfort food gone healthy. So if you’re in need of a delicious comfort food meal but want it to be healthy then look no further. It’s well worth a try.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pan
- Potato peeler
- Baking Tray
- Plastic brush
- Eggs x 4
- Tinned Tomatoes x 2
- Onion x 1
- Coriander x 1 handful
- Spinach x 1 bag 200g
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Olive oil
Ingredients for chips
- Potatoes x 2 large baking potatoes (or Pots of your choice)
- Garlic x 4 cloves
- Olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180° and put the baking tray in to heat.
- Start by peeling your potatoes and cutting them into chip shapes.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and add the chips in.
- Drizzle the chips with olive oil and add in the garlic cloves.
- Toss all the ingredients together until the chips are coated in the olive oil.
- Put in the oven for around thirty minutes.
- Next slice the onion and chop up the coriander.
- Put the frying pan on a medium to high heat and drizzle olive oil on the base.
- Spread the oil evenly over the base of the pan using the plastic brush.
- Once the pan is hot add the onions in and fry until translucent.
- It should take around five minutes.
- Now add in the tinned tomatoes, bring to the boil and leave to simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- After five minutes add in the coriander and spinach.
- Keep stirring while the spinach wilts down.
- Now make four wells/holes in the tomato sauce.
- Crack and egg into each hole.
- Then place in the oven above the chips if possible.
- Cook for the last 5 – 10 minutes of the chips cooking.
- Once the eggs have cooked remove from the oven along with the chips.
- Optionally serve with my homemade beans and enjoy.
For me, this is a great mid week meal that I love to cook, serve to others and eat. It’s just a lovely comforting meal that could be eaten at anytime of the year. It’s also great because if you’re only a two or a single you could just half or quarter the ingredients. Posh Egg and Chips is always well received in this house and I normally find clean plates all round. However you decide to eat it, as always, enjoy.