Roast dinners are just loved in my house. My husband Howard and I love cooking a roast for Sunday lunch. We love eating them even more. So I never think to use my slow cooker to cook a whole chicken. However, we were very busy on the Sunday this chicken was cooked so that’s why I decided to use it.
My slow cooker is a life saver and during the week I use it about 3 maybe 4 times. It’s a great piece of equipment to own and it saves me a lot of time. If I make a stew I don’t have to stand at the hob for hours letting it simmer. All I do now is put all the ingredients I want to cook into the cooker and turn it on. Then I let the slow cooker do all the hard work so I don’t have to.
The blog post is not an advert for slow cookers but I do think they are a great investment for any kitchen. We have a large cooker but if you have a small kitchen you can get a smaller size. It all depends on your needs and how much you are likely to use it. Although, as I mentioned earlier, our cooker gets out of the cupboard a lot most weeks. I also discovered that it cooks a whole chicken very well too. All the plates were cleaned when we served this dish and we are sure your plates will be clean too.
Serves 4 – 8
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Large Chicken x 1
- Ghee or unsalted butter x 50g
- Lemon x 1 juice
- Onion x 1
- Garlic x 4 – 8 cloves
- Thyme x 4 – 8 sprigs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to cook it.
- Now remove all the packaging and let it sit to rest.
- After the 30 minutes, prepare all ingredients.
- Start by juicing the lemon, then weigh the ghee or unsalted butter and finally peel and chop the onion into quarters.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and begin to dress the chicken.
- Scoop the butter into your hands and start to massage the chicken.
- When the butter has covered the top part of the chicken pour over the lemon juice.
- Stuff half the onion quarters inside the cavity of the chicken along with the lemon halves.
- In the slow cooker add the garlic cloves, thyme and the rest of the onions.
- Place the chicken on top of these ingredients.
- Turn the slow cooker on high for 3 – 4 hours or on low for 7 – 8 hours depending on your slow cooker.
- Once the chicken is cooked remove and leave to sit and rest for 10 – 20 minutes.
- If you want the skin crispy remove from the slow cooker after 3/7 hours and place in a preheated oven on 180°C or gas mark 4 and cook for about 20 – 30 minutes or until the skin turns golden brown.
- Then carve and serve with potatoes and vegetables.
Buttery Lemon Slow Cooked Chicken is a brilliant way to cook a chicken. Howard and I love to cook a roast together on a Sunday but occasionally we like it easy. By putting the chicken in the slow cooker it gave us lots of time back. To make this meal even easier with less washing up, we served it with sweet potato mash (See my mash potato recipe and just add sweet potato instead) and steamed cabbage. It was a delicious dinner and there was no food left on any of the plates. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, enjoy.
Do you have a slow cooker and do you like cooking whole chicken in it? What’s your favourite way to eat a chicken? Let me know in the comments below and please do not hesitate to like, comment or subscribe to my channel. Thank you and see you all soon. xxx