During the winter months it’s actually not great for the body to eat a cold salad. Our bodies and especially our stomachs are actually colder due to the weather outside. So it’s always best to eat warmer foods during the colder months. Although, I have to admit I do love a salad. I have mentioned before that my husband Howard calls me a ‘rabbit’ because of the amount of salad and greens I eat.
So when winter comes I still try to eat a good amount of leafy green vegetables but I’m looking for new ways to eat my greens. I can’t claim this recipe as my own but it’s certainly one I enjoy during winter. When I first started my sugar free diet I bought a couple of cookery books to get me started.
One was a book called Sugar Free by Sarah Wilson which I still refer to to this day. The salad was one of the first dishes I tried in this book and I love it. It’s a great way to have a warm winter salad with a hot meal for dinner. I now use my own salad dressing but it’s fairly similar to the one in Sarah’s book. If you love salad but don’t want to eat it during winter then this could be for you.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large saucepan
- Broccoli x 2 heads
- Avocado x 1 – 2
- Salad dressing x 8 tbsp.
- Start by chopping the broccoli heads into even florets.
- Put a saucepan on a high heat and add boiling water from the kettle.
- Bring the water to the boil and add the broccoli florets.
- Again bring the water to the boil, then turn the heat down and leave to simmer.
- While the broccoli is cooking, slice open the avocado and remove the seed.
- Cut the inside into cubes and leave in the skins.
- Cook for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- To check the broccoli is cooked, put a fork into the broccoli and if it falls off the fork it’s cooked.
- Once the broccoli is cooked, pour the saucepan through the colander and put the cooked broccoli back in the pan.
- Now spoon out the cubed avocado and put into the saucepan with the broccoli.
- Pour over the salad dressing and serve.
A Warm Broccoli and Avocado Salad is a great side to have with a hot dinner on a cold winter’s night. We ate this dish with Turkey and Bacon Burgers and my homemade chips. It was just delicious and it made a great change from a cold salad. I have to admit my husband and son are not fans of broccoli. I love it and if you love salad like me, then this is well worth a try. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, enjoy.
What’s your favourite salad and do you like them warm or cold? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like, comment and subscribe to my channel. See you all soon. xxx