My son Ted, husband Howard and I love, love, love a roast chicken. We normally eat this meal once a month. In the past, I have used the same roast chicken recipe but in recent years I have been testing different recipes. Many of you will know that I like to adapt what we eat on a regular basis. I find it keeps dinner time fresh and we don’t get bored of the same meals.
It makes life more interesting when we eat all kinds of different foods. I also enjoy using different herbs and spices to help flavour the food we eat. It can also be beneficial to our bodies to eat a range of foods and it can help to reduce the risk of disease. Plus and this is the biggest bonus for me, I really enjoy experimenting flavour. Although I love experimenting this is one meal I think we will be eating again and soon.
Do you love roast chicken like us and if so, how often do you eat it at home? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx
- Mixing bowl
- Stirring spoons
- Baking tray with lid or tin foil
- Plastic brush
- Whole Chicken x 1.3 kg
Ingredients for the BBQ sauce
- Ketchup, Tommy K or tomato puree x 50g
- Apple cider vinegar x 25mls
- Maple syrup x 2 tablespoons
- Tamari x 1 tbsp
- Lime juice x 1
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Hot or mild chilli powder x 1 tsp (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 4.
- Put the ketchup, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, tamari and smoked paprika and hot or mild chilli powder into the mixing bowl.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze the lime with the fork.
- Mix all of these ingredients together.
- Put the chicken into the baking tray.
- Carefully split the skin from chicken using your hands.
- Slide your hand under the skin ad lift it from the meat.
- Now spread the sauce over the chicken but also under the skin too.
- Use the plastic brush to spread the mixture under the skin and on top of the chicken.
- When the chicken is coated in the sauce put it into the oven for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove the chicken and cover it with a lid or tin foil.
- Now turn the oven down to 160° gas mark 3 and cook for an hour.
- Once the chicken is cooked remove from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Then serve with roast potatoes and all the trimmings and enjoy.
BBQ Roast Chicken was a delicious dinner that was full of flavour. I added garlic roast potatoes, cumin and honey roasted parsnips and carrots and a sweet and spicy red cabbage. (If these recipes are not highlighted it means they will be on my blog next week.) It was so yummy and everyone, including my mum, ate it. All the plates were cleaned by the end of the meal. Plus there were leftovers of the chicken which I stored in the freezer in tupper ware boxes. The chicken can be eaten in other meals. However you decide to eat this roast chicken dinner, as always, enjoy. Thank you. xxx