If you had told me before I started this sugar-free, packet-free lifestyle that you can make cream cheese from cashew nuts I would probably have said that you were nuts. (No pun intended). When I first saw a recipe for this type of cheese I did think, ‘it’s not possible.’ Then I tried making my own and I have found that cashew nuts have a very creamy flavour. After I discovered cashew nuts make a fantastic alternative to cream cheese, I then discovered nutritional yeast and now I’m loving this alternative to cheese.
I would be living on nutritional yeast if I was vegan. I know this isn’t good for us to live on one food but it would be a game changer for me. These affordable flakes can be sprinkled on anything to give it a cheese flavour. It does not melt like cheese but it does give any meal a cheesy flavour.
It’s a perfect addition to any meal providing nutrition while saving calories as well. Nutritional yeast is a great source of protein, vitamins and minerals. It contains folates, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, selenium and zinc. Plus it’s low in sodium, fat and is gluten and dairy free. It also doesn’t contain any added sugar or preservatives.
This yeast can be used in all sorts of recipes as a replacement for cheese. Everything from salads to sauces, sandwiches and burgers and in the next couple of weeks I’m going to show you some of the recipes we’ve been enjoying using it in. First, I’m going to show you how to make the cream cheese and it’s well worth a try. Below is a video and recipe for you.
What’s your favourite cheesy dinner? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
Makes about 250 mls
- Glass bowl with lid if possible
- Juicer or fork
- Food processor
- Cashew nuts x 200g
- Milk x enough to cover the nuts in the bowl
- Tahini x 2 tbsp
- Nutritional yeast x 4 tbsp
- Lemon x 1
- Chives x 2 tbsps (optional)
- Start by soaking the cashew nuts in a bowl overnight in enough milk to cover the nuts.
- Leave them for four hours or preferably overnight in the fridge.
- Once the nuts are soaked, pour them in the food processor.
- Juice the lemon using the fork or juicer.
- Then add the tahini, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and chives into the processor.
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour the ingredients back into the bowl and serve.
- Enjoy with sweet potato chips or a few chopped vegetables.
Cashew Nut Cream Cheese makes a delicious alternative to the shop bought cream cheeses. You can eat it as a snack but it’s even better as part of a meal. This is not an advert for nutritional yeast but we buy ours from Amazon. If you decide to click on the link I will make a small percentage of the profit but it won’t affect the price for you. However you decided to eat this dish, as always, enjoy.