Over the years potatoes have got a bad wrap. Nowadays, I think, when you say the word potato to a person they automatically think chips, french fries or crisps. For me, eating chips occasionally isn’t bad as long as it’s an occasional treat. There are a couple people I know who could eat chips all day long and not put on any weight.
As for me I’m certainly not that kind of person. I can eat chips but as long as it’s every so often and not everyday. Many years ago I began to fall out of love with the potato. Since discovering it’s not such a bad vegetable I have found new ways to cook the humble potato. I’m beginning my little love affair once more.
Potato can actually help with weight loss by helping to keep you fuller for longer. In turn this can lower blood sugar levels down. Plus they are packed with vitamins and minerals that will help the body to thrive. As the potato is such a plain vegetable it tastes great in a curry a long side the spices and herbs. For this recipe I used Maris Pipers and they worked really well. We all enjoyed this dinner and we hope you do too.
What’s your favourite potato meal? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
Serves 4 – 6
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Slow cooker
- Stirring spoon
- Potatoes x 800 – 1 kg Maris piper
- Leek x 1
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Dried chickpeas x 200g
- Carrots x 2 large
- Vegetable stock x 800mls
- Mild, medium or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Ground turmeric x 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon x 1/2 tsp
- Dried oregano x 1 tsp
- Black pepper x 1/2 tsp
- Salt x 1/2
- Spinach or green beans x 1 handful
- Cook the chickpea as per the packet instructions but I would also cook them for slightly longer.
- If you are using tinned chickpeas then just dried and rise them through the colander in the sink.
- Start by peeling and chopping the potato, carrots, leek and garlic.
- Add these ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Then add the vegetable stock, and the mild, medium or hot chilli powder, ground ginger, ground turmeric, ground cinnamon, dried oregano, black pepper and salt to the cooker.
- Now if you are using green beans I would recommend putting them in now too.
- Put on a low heat for eight hours or a high heat for four hours.
- About 30 minutes before the end add the spinach.
- Serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Chickpea and Potato Curry was a huge hit in our house. My husband Howard, son Ted and I really enjoyed eating this meal. My little family love potatoes so this was certainly a great dish to cook for them. All the ingredients in this dish are freezable. You could make a big batch and freeze it for another occasion. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you.