Although Spring is upon us the weather in the UK is normally still quite chilli. Therefore I enjoy a warming bowl of soup for dinner. Especially one that has been cooked in the slow cooker. The slow cooker has been an absolute god send. It not only cooks the dinner but it makes our meals very affordable. Honestly, I think the slow cooker is the best kitchen purchase we have made in recent years. Soups always cook really well in it too.
What are you favourite meals to cook in the slow cooker? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Stirring spoon
- Onion x 1
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Carrot x 1
- Butternut squash x 200g
- Tinned tomatoes x 2
- Vegetable stock, chicken stock or bone broth x 500ml
- Dried cannellini beans x 200g
- Tomato puree x 2 tbsp
- Tamari x 2 tbsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Mild, medium or hot chilli x 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper x 1/2 – 1 tsp
- Dried oregano x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the cannellini beans overnight.
- Drain the beans through a colander and rinse them well.
- Add the beans to a large saucepan and cover the beans with water and then 2 inches above that as well.
- Put baking powder and salt into the water and turn the heat onto high.
- Boil the beans for at least 20 mins.
- When they start to soften remove from the heat.
- Pour through the colander and rinse.
- Set aside.
- Peel and roughly chop the onions and garlic.
- Peel the butternut squash and remove any seeds.
- Then cut the squash into 1 centimetre pieces.
- Peel the carrot and cut into 1/2 centimetre pieces.
- Then add these to the slow cooker.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes and stock or bone broth and stir these ingredients together.
- Next add in the cooked cannellini beans, dried oregano, tahini, smoked paprika, mild, medium or hot chilli powder, cayenne powder, tomato puree and tinned tomatoes to the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the slow cooker on low for eight hours or on high for four hours.
- An hour before the end of cooking time, turn the slow cooker off and leave the soup to cool.
- Once it has cooled slightly but not completely, add into the food processor.
- The process may need to be done in two batches as the food processor may not be big enough for all the soup. Use the measuring jug if necessary.
- Put the soup back into the slow cooker and keep on ‘keep warm’ until ready to serve.
- Finally, serve with bread or wraps and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Smokey BBQ Tomato Soup was a kind of hit. My husband Howard was a big fan of this soup but my son Ted wasn’t so keen. Which isn’t anything new in our house but it’s just slightly annoying for the cook, me! I really enjoyed this soup and it warmed me up from the inside out. It’s an easy soup to prepare and cook. The ingredients can be put in the slow cooker the night before and all that need to be done is to switch the pot on. Then you can let it cook away all day and finally just blend it together in the evening. You can also make a large batch and freeze it for another occasion. However you decide to eat this soup, as always, please enjoy. Thank you. xxx
[…] Howard and son Ted love a burger and they don’t mind a fish burger either. Recently I made a smokey tomato soup and Ted who isn’t the biggest fan of spice really enjoyed it. Therefore I thought I would try […]