Dairy Free – Coconut Sugar – Low Gluten
Blueberry and Chocolate Muffins, yummy but before we begin if you are new to my blog and love recipes then I upload three times a week on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 7 am (GMT). So don’t forget to like this blog and follow me on here for loads more FREE recipes.
Breakfast, they say, is the most important meal of the day so it’s always good to have a nutritious one. These blueberry and chocolate muffins are a great way to kick start your engine in the morning. They are packed full of healthy ingredients and although they are technically cakes they will fuel the body until lunchtime.
We tried these muffins at the weekend for a Sunday morning breakfast. Sunday mornings are meant to be our pancake morning. Although, I thought I’d break from tradition and try these breakfast muffins. Muffins are quick breads that originated in America in the mid-19th century. In the UK we still think of a muffin as a cake or a cupcake and it’s not really a breakfast item that is commonly eaten here. Muffins are mainly sold in coffee shops and that is how they have become popular in Britain.
Many people here still view them as a treat or a snack. These muffins could be a pick-me-up between meals. They are commonly eaten with a cup of tea or coffee. We enjoyed ours at the weekend with green tea for me, coffee for Howard and milk for Ted. Ted was not too impressed with his muffin. I think he looks forward to pancakes on a Sunday but Howard and I loved them. We would eat them again and we recommend you give them a try.
Makes 6 large muffins
- Large Mixing bowl
- Measuring Jug
- Small saucepan
- Stirring spoon
- Muffin cases
- Muffin tray
- Spelt flour x 250g
- Fresh blueberries x 150g
- Raw Cacao powder x 50g
- Baking powder x 2 tsp
- Coconut sugar x 100g
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Pinch of Salt x 1
- Oat milk x 200mls
- 1 egg
- Coconut oil x 6 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 180°.
- In the large mixing bowl add the spelt flour, raw cacao powder, baking powder, coconut sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Stir all of these ingredients together.
- In the small saucepan melt the coconut oil and then add this to the jug.
- Along with the oat milk and egg.
- Mix these ingredients together and then pour over the flour mixture.
- Now mix all these ingredients together until they are blended well and there is no flour left.
- Finally fold in the blueberries using the spatula.
- Once the blueberries are folded put the muffin cases into the tray.
- Then pour the mixture evenly into the muffin tray.
- Put in the oven for around 25 – 30 minutes or until you can put a skewer into the muffin and it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
These Blueberry and Chocolate muffins make a great breakfast. They are also freezable too. So if you have limited time in the morning then this would be a good way to eat for an on-the-go person. Muffins also make a delicious snack or mid afternoon treat. It’s a great pick me up for anyone who feels that slump in the afternoon. However you decide to eat these muffins, as always, enjoy.
What’s your favourite muffin and do you eat them for breakfast? Let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to like and follow my blog. xxx