Last week there were a couple of bananas that had been sitting in our fruit bowl for over a week. As the weather is getting warmer I notice the bananas seem to turn brown quicker. So I thought about different ways I could use this fruit in my cooking.
Suddenly I realised I hadn’t made a banana bread for a while. I also had a beetroot in my fridge that needed a home. So I decided to throw this into my cake as well. It would either be weird or wonderful. Thankfully it was delicious and I just had to share the recipe with you. Below is a video and recipe for you.
Do you love Banana Bread and if so, what do you prefer with your slice with a tea or coffee? Let me know in the comment below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
Makes 8 slices
- Mixing bowls x 2
- Vegetable peeler
- Fine grater
- Nutribullet or blender
- Mixing spoon
- Small saucepan
- Loaf tin
- Plastic brush
- Grease proof paper
- Ripe bananas x 3
- Beetroot x 1 medium
- Eggs x 2 large
- Ghee, unsalted butter or vegan butter x 150g
- Coconut sugar x 150g
- Baking powder x 2 tsp
- Ground cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Ground almonds x 100g
- Gluten free oats x 200g
- Brown rice flour x 100g
- Ground flax seed x 50g
- Raw cacao powder x 50g
- Oil for the loaf tin
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC or gas mark 4.
- Pour about a teaspoon of oil into the tin.
- Brush it across the base and around the sides of the tin.
- Pre-line the loaf tin with the grease proof paper.
- Pour another teaspoon of oil onto the grease proof paper and repeat the above process.
- Peel the ripe bananas, add them to the bowl and then mash with the fork.
- Once the bananas are mashed add the eggs, ghee, unsalted butter or vegan butter and coconut sugar.
- Peel and grate the beetroot.
- Then mix the grated beetroot in with the banana mix.
- In the nutribullet cup or blender, add the ground almonds, gluten free oats, brown rice flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, ground flax seeds and raw cacao powder.
- Blend all of these ingredients together until they form a flour.
- Now mix the mashed banana ingredients with the flour ingredients.
- Once all the ingredients are mixed, pour into the loaf tin.
- Then put the tin into the oven.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes depending on your oven.
- Once it is ready is should be firm and golden brown on top. Put a skewer in it to check that it is cooked all the way through.
- If the skewer comes out clean it’s cooked.
- Leave to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Chocolate Beetroot and Banana Bread was a big hit with my husband Howard and my mum. We ate this as a dessert after Sunday lunch and it was very well received. I know this because all the plates were cleaned. Well mum’s was in a tupperware box due to the virus. I had to deliver it to her like that and the box came back very clean. I served this with coconut cream and maple syrup. You could serve it with ice cream or cream. It’s also delicious on it’s for a snack with a cup of tea or coffee. However you decide to eat this cake, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx