There are many ingredients in a tagine that are beneficial to the body but it’s the spices that interest me the most. Recently I have been adding a lot more spice to our dishes and I’ve even been drinking cumin seeds in hot water in the morning. My whole body feels a lot better for my morning drink. So I wanted to find out what makes cumin so special.
When I began to research this subject I found so many reasons to start adding cumin to your diet. Firstly, it helps to aid digestion and research suggests that it may even help to speed up digestion. It’s a rich source of iron and a lot of people can suffer from iron deficiency. Plus it contains potassium which helps to control blood pressure and heart rate.
Cumin is an amazing spice and there are lots more reasons why it helps the body. These are just a few and we love eating it in so many dinners. It’s always good to know what goes into your meals and how they can help the body. A spice I will be using a lot more in my cooking.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Slow cooker
- Mixing spoon
Ingredients for the tagine
- Chickpeas x 2 400g tins
- Red onion x 1
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Butternut squash x 1
- Yellow pepper x 1
- Carrots x 2
- Courgettes x 2
- Dried apricots x 200g
- Honey x 1 tbsp
- Chicken or vegetable stock x 500mls
- Spinach x 4 large handfuls
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Harissa paste
- Mild or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Dried garlic x 1 tsp
- Ground coriander x 1 tsp
- Olive oil x 1 tbsp
- Lemon x 1 juice and zest
- Start by putting all the harissa paste ingredients into the bowl and mixing together.
- Drain the chickpeas using the colander and add these to the harissa paste.
- Leave to marinade.
- Next peel the butternut squash, cut in half and remove the seeds.
- Cut the butternut squash into 2 centimetre pieces and add to the slow cooker.
- Peel and slice the carrots and courgettes and add these to the slow cooker too.
- Now cut the pepper, remove the core and slice the pepper into small pieces.
- Add this to the slow cooker.
- Peel and slice the onion and garlic and put these in as well.
- Finally cut the apricots in half and add these as well.
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable stock and honey.
- Put the slow cooker on high for eight hours and low for four hours.
- Five minutes before the end of the cooking time add in the spinach and let it wilt.
- When ready to eat serve with couscous or quinoa.
Slow Cooked Chickpea Tagine was a success in our house. We all really enjoyed it and it’s a very healthy meal that will feed the whole family. Plus as with most of my meals it’s freezable too. So you can make double and then freeze it for another day. However you decide to eat this dinner, as always, enjoy.
Do you eat cumin and if so, what do you put it in? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me? Thank you. xxx