For me, a tagine is one of those meals that is easy to put together and it always includes ingredients that can be thrown into one dish. It’s a slow cooked meal and slow cooked food is so good for the body. Tagines are full of flavour and we, as a family, can enjoy a meal that fits our tastes.
A lot of tagine dishes contain healthy ingredients that offer a variety of health benefits. Plus a tagine has an earthy flavour that, I don’t think, can be offered in an ordinary pan. They have a rich aroma which brings a freshness to the meal. It’s a simple dinner that the whole family can enjoy.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Mixing bowl
- Stirring spoon
Ingredients for the tagine
- Salmon x 500g
- Onion x 1
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Butternut squash x 1
- Carrots x 2
- Courgette x 2
- Red pepper x 1
- Chicken or vegetable stock x 500mls
- Cumin x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Dried oregano x 1 tsp
- Honey x 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olives x 40 – 60
- Sliced green beans x 4 large handfuls
Ingredients for the marinade
- Garlic cloves x 4
- Ground cumin x 2 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Lemon x 1 juice and zest
Method for the slow cooker
- Start by peeling and chopping the onion and the garlic.
- Next peel and slice the carrots and courgettes.
- Peel the butternut squash, cut the top and the bottom off.
- Now cut length ways in half, remove the seeds and cut into 2 centimetre pieces.
- Cut the core from the pepper by slicing the top off and twisting it out.
- Then slice the pepper and put all these ingredients into the slow cooker.
- Add the spices, herb, salt and pepper to taste and stir the ingredients round.
- Pour over the chicken or vegetable stock and add in the honey.
- Turn the slow cooker on for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
Method for marinading the salmon
- To make the marinade, put all the ingredients into the mixing bowl and stir together.
- An hour before the cooking time is over add the salmon to the marinade.
- Mix these ingredients together until the salmon is covered in the marinade.
- Leave for 30 minutes in the bowl.
- After 30 minutes put the salmon and any remaining marinade into the slow cooker.
- Leave to cook for the last 30 minutes.
- Before the cooking time has ended add in the olives and sliced green beans.
- When the salmon is pink and the green beans are soft, serve with rice, couscous or quinoa and enjoy.
Slow cooked Salmon and Olive Tagine is a simple dish that can be enjoyed by the whole family. We have ours with rice or quinoa. Sadly I can’t eat it the traditional way with couscous as I have a gluten allergy. It’s another good meal that can be made in bulk and frozen for another meal later on. However you decide to eat your meal, as always, enjoy.
Do you eat tagine and what’s your favourite dish? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like, comment or subscribe? Thank you. xxx