The first time I ate a S’more it was at summer camp in America. I was a camp council on a special needs camp called, Camp Merry Heart. The summer I went to camp, or band camp as my husband calls it, there was a day camp for the local children. One weekend they were allowed a sleepover on sight. We had a camp fire and they eat hotdogs for their dinner. I have to say it was all healthy stuff.
For dessert that night we ate s’mores. It was the first time I have ever tired this sugary treat. I thought it was delicious at that time. Now that I have given up processed foods and sugars I don’t think I’d feel the same.
The other day my son Ted came home from school, he had attended forest school that day. On the way home Ted told me they had made s’mores at school. I told him I had eaten them too. Ted then asked if we could make them. I reluctantly agreed as I’m yet to find a healthy marshmallow. Although I have made a healthy cookie/biscuit to help counteract the sweet and chocolate. These were a big hit in our house and we hope you enjoy them too.
What’s your favourite BBQ sweet treat? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Nutribullet or blender
- Zester or juicer
- Fine grater
- Mixing bowls x 2
- Mixing spoon
- Electric Whisk
- Baking tray
- Grease proof paper
- Rolling pin
- Boards for the cookies
- Large cookie cutter
- Cooling rack
- BBQ or wood fire
- Gluten free oats x 200g
- Rice flour x 100g plus extra for dusting
- Ground almonds x 100g
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Coconut sugar x 150g
- Vegan butter, ghee or unsalted butter (if not vegan) x 120g
- Pumpkin puree x 2 tbsp
- Lime x 1 juice and zest
- Ground sweet cinnamon x 1 tbsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Ground nutmeg x 1 tsp
- Ground allspice x 1 tsp
- Ground cloves x 1 tsp
- Salt x 1/2
- Take the vegan butter, ghee or unsalted butter from the fridge a couple of hours before use.
- Pour the gluten free oats, rice flour and ground almonds into the nutribullet or blender and blend until they form a flour.
- Mix these ingredients with the baking powder in the large mixing bowl and mix together.
- Cut the vegan butter, ghee or butter into chunks and put into the mixing bowl too.
- Add in the coconut sugar and cream these ingredients together with the electric whisk.
- Add in the pumpkin puree, lime juice and zest, ground sweet cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground allspice and ground cloves.
- Whisk these ingredients together again.
- Then finally add the flour ingredients to the ingredients in the other bowl.
- Mix until they form a large ball and use your hands to do so if you need to.
- Using the brown rice flour, roll out the dough.
- Roll out the dough to about a half centimetre thickness.
- Use the cutter and cut your biscuits.
- Repeat the process until you have used all the dough.
- Place the biscuits onto boards and put into the fridge for about thirty minutes.
- Putting them in the fridge will help these to go crunchy.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Pre-line and grease a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Place on the baking tray and bake for around 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Finally place on a cooling rack and leave to cool completey
Ingredients for the S’mores
- Pumpkin Spices Quinoa Cookies x 2
- Large marshmallow x 1
- Chocolate x 1 – 2 squares of your choice
Method for the S’mores
- Heat the BBQ or wood fire.
- Put the skewer into the marshmallow and place it near the fire.
- When the marshmallow starts to turn brown around the edges put it onto one cookies/biscuits.
- Then place a piece of chocolate on top and put the other cookie/biscuit on.
- Finally serve and enjoy.
Pumpkin Spiced S’mores were very well received. My husband Howard and son Ted loved the cookies/biscuits too. I thought these would be a great option for bonfire night. If you are having a party this year then this would make a great dessert for friends and family. Plus if you are lucky enough to have a fire pit in your garden then you could just cook these over the open fire. The biscuits are delicious on their own too. It would make a great gift as well. However you decide to eat these S’mores, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx