Fennel is my new favourite obsession. I really love this strange looking veggie. The other day I read a very interesting article about the health benefits of fennel. The most interesting fact I discovered is estrogen occurs naturally in fennel. Estrogen plays a central role in regulating the female reproductive organs. It can also determine a women’s fertility. Since then I have been using it in lots of my recipes but this one I have found to be the tastiest. (Not that I’m trying to get pregnant).
A lot of people choose fennel for it’s liquorice like flavour. When I teamed it with the sweet ripe tomatoes it work so well. The liquorice flavour of the fennel and the sweetness in the tomatoes are a taste explosion in the mouth. Plus the cannellini beans make the soup very thick and creamy too. It’s definitely a cold winter’s day soup that will help to heat you up from the inside out. We enjoyed this dish and we hope you do too.
What interesting facts have you learned about vegetables? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Baking tray
- Onion x 1
- Large tomatoes on the vine x 4 – 6
- Fennel x 1 bulb
- Cannellini beans x 300g
- Milk of your choice x 1 litre
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the beans as the per the packet instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
- Cut the fennel into large pieces and put into the baking tray.
- Peel and slice the onion and put it into the baking tray too.
- Add in the tomatoes as well.
- Drizzle oil over the vegetables, sprinkle over the salt and toss these ingredients together.
- Put these ingredients into the oven.
- Bake for about 30 – 40 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are golden brown and the tomatoes have split remove the vegetables from the oven.
- Leave these vegetables to cool until the are touchable.
- When everything has cooled pour half the milk into the blender.
- Then add half of the milk and the cannellini beans.
- Now blend all of the ingredients together.
- Once everything is smooth pour this half of the soup into a saucepan.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat the through until it’s a temperature that’s edible.
- Finally serve and enjoy with chunky bread or cheesy toast.
Roasted Tomatoes and Fennel Soup was a big hit in our house. My husband Howard and son Ted really enjoyed this soup. I served their soup with cheesy bread and I ate my chickpea flour wraps. The great part about this dish is that all the ingredients are freezable. That means you can make a big batch and freeze it for another occasion. However you decide to eat/drink this soup, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx