Dairy has never been a food that agrees with me. Although I love it, my stomach and waist line will often let me know they does not like it. In recent months I have been seeing a nutritionist and it was suggested to me to start eating a lot more probiotic food. I told the nutritionist that my stomach is very fond of yoghurt. We thought for a moment and we came up with the idea of making my own yoghurt.
At first we thought about coconut yoghurt which I may make later on. At this time I felt that cashew nut yoghurt would be better for my body. In this recipe I soak the cashew nuts overnight. By soaking the nuts it actually helps our bodies to digest them easier. Therefore it boosts nutrition and can help to remove phytic acid. Although, it was a time consuming process the efforts were worth the results. I thoroughly enjoyed this yoghurt on porridge and with fruit. I hope you enjoy it too.
Do you love yoghurt and if so what do you enjoy eating it with? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
Makes a Lot
- Small mixing bowl
- Wooden or stirring spoon
- Slow cooker
- Cup or mug
- Blanket or towel
- Airtight containers
- Cashew Nuts x 200g
- Milk x 750mls (of your choice) plus extra to cover the cashew nuts
- Live culture x 1 packet
- Put the cashew nuts into the small mixing bowl and cover with a milk of your choice.
- Place the bowl into the fridge.
- The next day remove the cashew nuts from the fridge.
- Pour the cashew nuts and the milk into the blender and add the milk.
- Blend all of these ingredients together.
- Now pour the blender ingredients into the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker onto a low heat and put the lid on.
- Wait until the milk heats up to 82C.
- It will take a couple of hours.
- Once two hours has passed check the temperature with the thermometer.
- If it needs a bit more time put the lid back on and leave for another 20 minutes or so.
- When it hits 82C turn the slow cooker off and leave the milk for at least 2 hours to about 43C.
- Heat a mug or cup full of warm milk in a saucepan on the hob.
- It has to be warm but not hot.
- Mix it with the live culture and pour it into the slow cooker.
- Stir these ingredients together.
- Put the lid back on and wrap the slow cooker in a blanket or towel.
- Leave for about 12 hours or until the mixture has set.
- Remove from the slow cooker and store in an airtight jar in the fridge for about 1 – 2 weeks.
- To make more leave a tablespoon or two of the yoghurt and add this to next batch.
Slow Cooker Cashew Nut Yoghurt recipe has been a huge hit with me. To be honest, the process for making this yoghurt took me three attempts. In the end it was easy but I don’t think I have quite perfected it yet. When I do think I have a perfect attempt, of course, I will update you. The yoghurt was delicious on it’s own. It has a slightly sweet and nutty flavour. Cashew nut yoghurt is delicious with porridge and it’s also yummy with fruit or in a smoothie. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx