Gluten Free – Dairy Free
When I was a child, my Dad would take me to McDonalds for dinner occasionally. My mum would never take me as she hates the place and in my wise age of 38 years I have to say I feel the same nowadays. Please don’t switch off I’m not about to bash McDonalds or Maccy D’s as I like to call it for being unhealthy. I know that they now have a lot of healthy food on their menu. For me, these restaurants are capitalism is motion. That’s a whole other article.
The food I loved to eat when I went to this fast food chain was chicken nuggets. I think it was the crispy coating that I loved the most. I was thinking about my dad the other day as it would have been his 80th birthday and I thought about the places we used to go to. Then I thought about the chicken nuggets he always used to buy me. So I decided to try and make my own version.
The coating on these isn’t crispy but it can in a close second. I used sesame seeds instead of a bread coating as I have a slight gluten allergy. Plus sesame seeds are packed with essential fats and enhance skin health. They are one of the most ancient foods on the planet and they are very highly regarded in Mediterranean countries. Sesame seeds have been used for thousands of years to flavour foods. These seeds have a rich, nutty, flavour which is why sesame oil, tahini and the seeds are common ingredients in cuisines across the world.
- Nutribullet or food processor
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Small bowls x 3
- Large bowl
- Baking tray
- Chicken Breasts x 500g
- Sesame seeds x 100g
- Eggs x 2 medium
- Brown rice flour x 3 tbsp
- Mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 180° and put the baking tray in.
- Start by grinding the sesame seeds and the mixed herbs in the food processor or nutribullet until they look like bread crumbs.
- Pour the bread crumbs into one of the small bowls.
- With the sharp knife on the chopping board, cut the chicken breasts into bite size pieces, so about two inches wide.
- Now crack the eggs into another small bowl and whisk with the fork.
- Then in the final bowl put 3 tbsp of brown rice flour.
- Dip a piece of the chicken into the brown rice flour covering the chicken.
- Then dip the same piece into the egg covering the chicken.
- Finally dip it into sesame seeds covering the chicken.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the chicken putting it into the large bowl.
- It’s a very messy job but a fun one and remember to put any leftover flour, etc into the bin. They will be contaminated with chicken.
- Once all the chicken is covered in the coating, set aside.
- Next make the chips using my sweet potato chips recipe and the beans using my homemade beans recipe.
- Although if you want to make my homemade beans in the slow cooker then these will need to be made earlier.
- At this point once the chips are in the oven I then transfer the chicken nuggets from the bowl to the baking tray.
- Put the baking into the oven along with the chips and cook for 25 – 30 minutes or until the coating is golden brown.
- Once cooked, plate the food up, serve and enjoy.
Chicken nuggets, chips and beans is a great recipe the whole family will enjoy. All of the ingredients used to make the chicken nuggets can be frozen. So you could make the nuggets at the weekend and freeze them for a quick mid week meal. Also you could make the nuggets with your children. It’s a great job for kids and it helps them to get involved in cooking the dinner. We love this meal and it’s now a firm favourite in our house.
What is your favourite fast food and have you ever tried to make it at home? What was the end result like? Let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to like and follow this blog. Thank you and see you soon.