My son, Ted and husband, Howard, love creamy cheesy pasta and so do I. However, I’m not so great on cheese especially the strong, creamy ones. So when I discovered cashew nut cream cheese I was in heaven and now I have been discovering even more meals I can use it in.
Cashew nut cream cheese is so easy to make and when adding it to dishes all it needs is to be heated through until warm. It’s prefect for making a quick dinner for the family or friends. Plus cashews are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. These include vitamin E, K, and B6 along with minerals like copper, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, iron, and selenium. All of these nutrients are important for maintaining a healthy balanced body.
Cashews are buttery, sweet and can be very creamy when soaked and then blended. They also have an unmistakable shape and they grow on cashew nut trees, which are native to subtropical climates. Raw cashews are often used in vegan as well as in Indian cooking. These beautiful nuts will now be used in Alexis’ cooking from now on too. Well worth a try.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Nutribullet or blender
- Large saucepan
- Large frying pan
- Baking tray
- Wooden spoon
- Serving spoon
- Cashew nut cream cheese x 1
- Chicken x 500g
- Parma ham or bacon x 4 slices
- Spring onions x 1 bunch
- Carrots x 2
- Broccoli x 1 head
- Cauliflower x 1
- Cherry tomatoes x 300g (on the vine preferably)
- Mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Pasta x 300g
- Olive oil
- Start by making the cashew nut cream cheese.
- Note; The cashews will need to be soaked overnight so it’s best to do this the day before.
- Turn the grill onto a high heat.
- Chop the spring onions into 1/2 centimetre pieces using the sharp knife.
- Grate the carrots and chop the broccoli and cauliflower into small heads.
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch pieces and the bacon or parma ham into strips.
- Place the tomatoes into the baking tray and drizzle olive and sprinkle salt over the top.
- Now put these under the grill.
- Put the large frying pan on a high heat.
- Add the oil and spread evenly across the base of the pan using the plastic brush.
- Once the pan is hot add the spring onions and fry until the have softened.
- Next add in the chicken and bacon or parma ham.
- Continue to fry these until the chicken is golden brown and the bacon or parma ham has turned pink in colour.
- Now add in the carrots and keep frying for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour in the cashew nut cream cheese and fry until warmed through.
- If the cream cheese is to thick you may want to add more milk to loosen the mixture.
- Sprinkle over the mixed herbs and stir all the ingredients together using the wooden spoon.
- Turn the heat down and leave to simmer.
- At this point check the tomatoes and if they are looking soft then remove from the grill.
- Set the tomatoes aside.
- Be careful not to burn the cream cheese as it can start to brown quickly when left on a high heat.
- Cook the pasta as per the packet instructions and when cooked drain the pasta through the colander.
- Then add the pasta to the sauce.
- Finally serve and enjoy.
Dairy Free Chicken and Ham Pasta is an easy dinner to make for a family. I used left over chicken for this meal. So instead of cooking the chicken at the beginning you can add the left over at the end. We also ate this dinner with chickpea pasta and it was so yummy. We brought the chickpea pasta in our local supermarket in the fresh gluten free section. Howard and Ted’s plates were empty by the end of this dish. It’s a good sign when plates are empty that everyone enjoyed it. However you eat this meal, as always, enjoy.
What are your favourite chicken and ham meals? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx