Spice is a brilliant way to protect the body’s system during the winter months and this is the time of year that I start to think about eating and drinking more spices and herbs. When I think of what spices and herbs to use in soups, curries and drinks, my attention turns to Turmeric. It’s a brilliant herb that will help protect the body against those winter chills. Turmeric is a brightly coloured herb that is one of the most powerful.
Firstly, it’s an anti inflammatory that is loaded with antioxidants which help with wholeness and healing. It works to keep the body’s immune system fighting fit during the colder months. Plus it can help with lots of other conditions like diabetes, arthritis and cholesterol. In the winter months it’s the best herb to protect against coughs, colds and flu. Well worth trying.
- Cashew nut milk x 1 cup (or a milk of your choice)
- Fresh turmeric x 1 centimetre piece (or a teaspoon or ground turmeric)
- Cinnamon x 1/2 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cloves x 1/4 tsp
- Ground nutmeg x 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla powder x 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Raw cacao powder x 1 – 2 tsp
- Local honey or maple syrup x 1 – 2 tsp
- Pour the milk into the cup and then pour into the saucepan.
- Put the saucepan on a high heat and bring to the boil.
- While the milk is being brought to the boil, grate the turmeric in, add the spices and chocolate.
- Keep stirring continuously until the milk boils.
- The turn the heat down and stir for a further three minutes or so.
- Put the sieve on top of the cup and pour the mixture through the sieve.
- It will hopefully discard the turmeric pieces.
- Now add the honey or maple syrup and enjoy.
My Protective Chocolate Turmeric Milk is a great drink to have on a cold winter’s day. I enjoy this in the evening when my son has gone to bed and the house is quiet. For this drink, I have used cashew nut milk but a milk of your choice is OK. The cashew nut milk gives it an extra sweet flavour, without the added sugar, that I really enjoy. Also if you can’t get fresh turmeric then ground is good too. However you decide to drink the delicious milk, as always, enjoy.
What’s your favourite milky drink? Let me know in the comments below and please feel free to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx