Spaghetti Bolognaise is probably one of the most eaten dinners in this house. We really like a ‘Spag Bowl’ as we like to call it. My little family will always clean their plates when it’s served. Plus I really like the process of making a Bolognaise sauce. Although, I do enjoy breaking with tradition and trying new dishes. I think it’s something everyone could do a lot more.
Once a month I like to go to my local organic butchers to bulk buy meat. We normally only have meat at the weekends and we try to have more vegan and vegetarian dishes during the week. Before I go to the butchers I always like to eat every item of food I have bought the previous time.
In the freezer when I invented this dish was, yes you’ve guessed it, chicken and bacon. I decided to throw these last two ingredients together and add pasta. The results were amazing and plates were all cleaned in our house.
Chicken and Bacon Pasta may not be one of my most inspirational meals but we all enjoyed it. Therefore I thought it would be a great family meal for my blog. I always love making simple and easy food that will fill a family up.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large frying pan
- Large saucepan x 2
- Plastic brush
- Stirring spoon/wooden spoon
- Chicken breasts x 500g
- Bacon x 4 rashers
- Onion x 1 large
- Red pepper x 1
- Yellow pepper x 1
- Tomatoes x 2 400g tins
- Tommy K or tomato puree x 2 tbsp
- Basil x 1 small handful
- Pasta x 200g
- Broccoli x 2 heads
- Olive oil for the pan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mature cheddar or parmesan x 80g (optional)
- Start by peeling and slicing the onion.
- Cut the top from the pepper and then remove the core.
- Now slice the peppers.
- Next cut the stem from the broccoli heads and cut into florets.
- Finally slice the bacon and then cut the chicken into 1 inch chunks.
- Put the large frying pan on a high heat and add oil.
- Spread the oil around the base with the plastic brush.
- Once the pan is hot add the onions and fry until they start to soften.
- Then add in the chicken and the bacon.
- When the chicken starts to brown and the bacon is pink, add in the peppers.
- Fry for a further two minutes.
- If the pan get too hot at this point, turn the heat down to a medium temperature.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the tommy k or tomato puree.
- Stir all the ingredients round with the stirring spoon.
- Now add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the heat down to low and leave to simmer.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the large saucepan as per the packet instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking add the broccoli to another saucepan of boiling water.
- Cook the broccoli for 2 – 5 minutes then drain and put into the sauce.
- Finally, drain the pasta once cooked and add this to the frying pan too.
- Mix all these ingredients together and serve with cheese. (Optional).
Chicken and Bacon Pasta is a new favourite in our house. I always loved chicken and bacon in a sandwich or as a burger. However I never really thought about putting it with pasta until I saw these two items lying in the bottom of the freezer. It’s a simple but easy dish. Normally, it’s the quick dishes like this one that have all the flavour and they are a pleasure to cook. Remember the sauce is freezable so you could cook a large batch and freeze for another occasion. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, enjoy!
What are your favourite savoury flavour combinations? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like, comment or subscribe to my channel. xxx