Due to the current situation we are in I have been trying to buy from our local farm shop as much as possible. Until about a year ago I would frequent the farm shop once a week. I enjoy buying local products and our local shop is always stocked with fruit and vegetables from the local area.
So this week in the shop they had a big bunch of locally grown beetroot for sale. I love beetroot and I normally put it in savoury meals but I decided to try it in a cake. I have used beetroot before in a chocolate cake but never with orange. It was a flavour combination I suddenly thought about when I saw the oranges in the shop. So I decided to give this flavour combination a try and I was blow away. Therefore, as always, I had to share it with you.
- Vegetable peeler
- Fine grater
- Large mixing bowl x 2
- Juicer or fork
- Gluten free oats x 200g
- Brown rice flour or ground almonds x 100g
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Raw cacao powder x 50g
- Ground sweet cinnamon or ground cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Beetroot x 1
- Orange x 1 juice and zest
- Coconut or brown sugar x 150g
- Ghee, unsalted butter or vegan butter.
- Eggs x 2 large
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Pre-line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Oil the bottom of the tin and the top of the grease proof paper.
- Set the baking tray aside.
- Peel the beetroot and use with the fine grater.
- Put this into one of the mixing bowls.
- Now grate the zest of the orange into the bowl with the beetroot in.
- Cut the orange in half and juice it over the beetroot bowl using the fork or the juicer.
- Pour the gluten free oats, brown rice flour or ground almonds, raw cacao powder and ground sweet cinnamon or ground cinnamon into the nutribullet cup.
- Blend all of these ingredients together.
- Once the mixture looks like flour pour it into the other mixing bowl.
- In the beetroot mixing bowl add the sugar, butter and eggs.
- Whisk these ingredients together.
- Pour the beetroot bowl ingredients onto the flour mixture.
- Whisk these together.
- Then pour the mixture into the pre-lined baking tray.
- Put the tray into the oven and bake for around 25 – 30 minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove and leave to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Next remove from the baking tray and leave to cool again for 30 minutes or so.
- Finally cut and serve with ice cream or cream.
- Now enjoy.
Beetroot and Orange Chocolate Brownie was gratefully received by my husband. Also I took a piece to my mum too and she really enjoy it as well. I served it with coconut cream and maple syrup. You could serve this with cream or ice cream. Plus all the ingredients in this brownie are freezable. So it could be made in advance of a meal. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy! xxx