Meat is normally a weekend treat for us. My husband Howard and son Ted would eat meat all day long if I wasn’t here. So I’m pleased I am! In recent years, I started changing the menu so that during the week we eat less meat. So we will either have a vegetarian or vegan dish.
Beef meals are definitely one of my family’s favourites. So I decided to try a mid week meatball meal with black beans. Ted used to love beans but recently he has changed his mind. So I’m always trying to actively encourage him to try it before he decides he doesn’t like it. The meatballs were neither a hit nor a miss with Ted. My husband and I thought they were delicious. Below is a video and recipe for you.
Do you love meatballs and how do you eat yours? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Food processor
- Baking Tray
- Grease proof paper
- Frying pan
- Wooden spoon or stirring spoon
Ingredients for the meatballs
- Black beans x 2 400g tins
- Tahini x 2 tbsps
- Ground flax seed x 4 – 8 tbsps
- Mild or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Ground Ginger x 1 tsp
- Ground (sweet) cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Dried oregano
- Fresh coriander x 1 handful
Method for making the meatballs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Drain the black beans through the colander and put them into the food processor.
- Add in the tahini, ground flax seed, mild or hot chilli powder, smoked paprika, ground ginger, ground (sweet) cinnamon, dried oregano and fresh coriander.
- Blend all of these ingredients together.
- Cut a piece of grease proof paper to fit the baking tray.
- Spread oil over both sides of your piece of grease proof paper and place it onto the baking tray.
- Now spoon out the mixture until there are about 16 meatballs.
- Put the baking tray into the oven and cook for around 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove and serve with the pasta and sauce.
Ingredients for the sauce
- Onion x 1
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Red pepper x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Tomatoes x 2 400g tins
- Tamari x 1 tbsp
- Tomato puree x 2 tbsp
- Dried basil x 1 tsp
- Red or green pasta x 300g (or a pasta of your choice)
- Spinach or kale x 2 handfuls
Method for tomato sauce and pasta
- For the sauce, chop the onions and the garlic and the kale if necessary.
- Peel and slice the courgette.
- Slice the top from the red pepper, remove the core and slice.
- Drizzle enough olive oil to cover the base of the frying pan and put it on a medium to high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and fry until the onion has turned translucent.
- Next add in the red pepper and the courgette and fry until they start to soften.
- Pour over the tinned tomatoes and turn down the heat on the hob.
- Now add in the tamari and tomato puree and stir all of these ingredients together.
- Leave the sauce until five minutes before the meatballs are done and then add the spinach or kale.
- The spinach or kale should only take about five minutes to cook down.
- Cook the pasta as per the packet instructions.
- Add the pasta to the sauce, not the other way round.
- Finally add the meatballs to the tomato sauce, serve and enjoy.
Spicy Black Bean Meatballs with Pasta and Sauce were a success with my husband and myself. My son Ted was not particularly fussed by them. Hopefully one day he will enjoy his beans again. These meatballs were simple and easy to cook. It made a very quick mid week meal and anything that makes my life easier is OK by me. One meal my husband and I will be eating again soon. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx