While on holiday in Wells Next the Sea in Norfolk this summer we were lucky enough to try crabbing. When we were walking down to the beach we noticed a lot of people stood by the harbour. I wondered what they were doing and my husband Howard told me they were crabbing. It’s an activity Howard and I had never done before and neither had our son Ted.
Therefore we decided to give it a try one day. While we were sat by the harbour catching our crabs I started to think about the recipes I had made with this delicious meat. In that moment I realised it wasn’t that many so I was inspired to start making new recipes using crab. We normally always just eat vegan mac and cheese with tomatoes and pasta. I decided to add crab and bacon to the sauce and it was so tasty. It’s a meal we will definitely be eating again.
Do you love crab and if so what’s your favourite crab meal? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Large saucepans x 2
- Stirring spoon
- Crab x 2 tins
- Bacon x 8 rashers
- Spring onions x 8 – 10
- Carrot x 1 large
- On the vine tomatoes x 8 large
- Cashew nut cream cheese x 150g
- Pasta x 300g
- Oil for the pan
- Peel the carrot and grate it.
- Cut the top and tails from the spring onions.
- Then slice the spring onions into 1/2 centimetre pieces.
- Slice the bacon into chunky pieces.
- Cook the pasta as per the packet instruction.
- Put the large saucepan on a high heat and add oil to the base of the pan.
- When the pan is hot add in the sliced spring onions.
- Fry the onions until they start to soften.
- Add in the grated carrot and fry for another 5 minutes or so.
- If the ingredients start to stick to the base of the pan, turn the heat down and add a little water to help loosen the vegetables.
- Next add in the bacon and fry until the fat turn a golden brown colour.
- Stir in the crab meat and turn the heat down to a very low heat.
- Pour over the cashew nut cream cheese.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the sauce.
- If there is any pasta water in the saucepan add this to the sauce.
- Now stir all these ingredients together.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Crab and Bacon ‘No Cheese’ Mac and Cheese was a huge hit in house. My son Ted, who is normally a very fussy eater, told me he thought this meal was yummy. Ted nearly ate the whole bowl too. Which is quite an achievement for Ted. The sauce is freezable so you could make this in advance of a meal. Also the cashew cream cheese is freezable too and it can be made and frozen as well. By freezing a few ingredients ahead of making the meal it will save time when it comes to cooking this dish. Anyway, we all enjoyed this meal and we hope you do too. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx