Chocolate and cherries, for me, is the best. The combination of the sweetness of the chocolate and the tart taste of the cherries is pure pleasure. In fact chocolate and any kind of berry is simply heaven. Choc Cherry Mousse is no exception. Although, it’s not strictly a ‘posh’ mousse as it has no egg whites, it’s still delicious.
Cherries are one of the very low calorie fruits. Nonetheless, they are a rich source of vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Sweet but tart, cherries are packed with numerous health benefiting compounds that are essential for wellness. The tart cherry can help fight against cancers, aging and neurologist diseases and pre-diabetes.
The beautiful fruit also contains melatonin, an anti-oxidant. Melatonin can cross the blood-brain barrier easily and it has a soothing effect on the brain, calming down the nervous system. Therefore it can help neurosis, insomnia and headaches. Furthermore, they are also a small source of zinc and moderate sources of iron, potassium and manganese and a good source of copper. Potassium is a heart-healthy mineral, an important component. That regulates heart rate and pressure.
The recipe is quick, simple and very easy. It will honestly only take about 10 minutes to prepare and make. My little family were impressed by the dessert as their plates were clean within five minutes of serving. It’s smooth and creamy and the other ingredients may surprise you. However, it’s yummy and well worth a try.
- Food Processor or Nutribullet
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Avocado x 1/2
- Banana x 2 medium
- Coconut cream x 200ml
- Coconut oil x 2 tbsp
- Maple syrup x 2 tbsp
- Raw cacao powder x 2 tbsps
- Cherries x 200g (Fresh or frozen)
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the stone put in the food processor or nutribullet.
- Chop the banana into slices and put in the food processor.
- Add the coconut cream, coconut oil, maple syrup and raw cacao powder.
- If using fresh cherries then remove the stones.
- Then put 100g of the cherries into the processor or bullet as well.
- Blend all the ingredients together.
- Taste, and if not enough cherries, add a few more.
- Blend again, if necessary.
- Finally, add the remaining cherries to the bottom of the bowls and then put the blended mousse on top.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve and eat.
Choc Cherry Mousse is a very speedy dessert. The avocado and banana make the mousse smooth and creamy. I thought while making it that it would be great for a dinner party. It would be fun for your dinner guests to guess what’s in the mousse. Shh, don’t tell them they will never know. It’s also great because the dessert is freezable as long as the cherries are fresh. So it could be made before the party. Whether you decide to feed this scrummy dessert to your friends or eat on your own, as always, please enjoy.