Sourdough French Toast is a favourite breakfast of my son Ted. He loves eating it in the morning and most days it’s his first request. Ted has a slight intolerance to bakers yeast so this is the reason my son and husband now eat sourdough bread. Recently I have been learning about the health benefits of sourdough and I wanted to share my new knowledge with you.
Bread such as sourdough is made with a wild yeast. The process takes a lot longer than making bread as we know it today. Food that is made slowly generally tends to be much better for the body. The slow process means sourdough is more digestible than bread bought in the supermarket. It’s also more nutritious too.
Sourdough contains plenty of goodness the body can enjoy. The lactic acid in this bread make the vitamins and minerals in the flour more available to the body. It helps to neutralise the phytates in the flour that would normally interfere with their absorption. The acids in this type of bread slow down the rate at which glucose is released into the blood stream. It means sourdough has a low glycemic index (GI) so it doesn’t cause undesirable spikes in insulin. Also the gluten in the flour is more digestible and it’s less likely to cause a food intolerance.
The best places to buy sourdough bread are small bakeries rather than in larger supermarkets. Supermarkets can make this bread with bakers yeast as it has to be made on an industrial scale. Therefore it’s not really a true sourdough bread. There are lots of farmers markets with locally run bakeries now selling sourdough bread. My family really enjoy a slice of sourdough bread especially as French Toast.
Serves 1 adult
- Small mixing bowl
- Bread knife
- Chopping board
- Measuring jug
- Fork or whisk
- Frying pan
- Sourdough bread x 2 slices
- Eggs x 1 large
- Milk x 50ml
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Coconut oil for frying pan
- Honey or maple syrup
- Start by slicing your sourdough bread in half.
- Then slice the slices in half again.
- In the mixing bowl crack the egg, add the milk and then the cinnamon.
- Whisk these ingredients together.
- Place the first slice of bread in the milk and leave to soak.
- (Turn over as Sourdough doesn’t tend to soak the mixture up as normal bread would do).
- Put the frying pan on a high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add a teaspoon or two of the coconut oil.
- Spread evenly using the plastic brush over the base of the pan.
- When the pan is hot add the bread that has been soaking
- Then add another slice.
- Wait for the first slice to turn golden brown on one side and then turn over.
- As soon as the toast is a golden brown colour on both sides remove from the pan and put on the plate.
- Repeat this process three more times.
- Once cooked add honey or maple syrup and enjoy.
The recipe is simple, easy and delicious. It makes a great breakfast for a little one or a big one. As I mentioned earlier both my husband and my son enjoy eating this breakfast. Sourdough French Toast is even better with stale bread. When the bread is dipped into the milk and egg mixture then fried in the pan it makes the bread soft again. If you can
not get any sourdough bread the recipe can be made from other types of bread. You may find you need to add a bit more milk or another egg to the mixture. However you decide to eat this yummy dish, as always, please enjoy.