Vegan Cheesy Lasagna is made with Cashew Nut Cream Cheese. A great recipe that is a brilliant alternative to shop-bought cream cheese. It’s very cheesy and the cashew nuts make an excellent creamy texture. I love cashew nuts and when I discovered that they can make a cheese I was a little surprised, pleasantly surprised.
Delicately sweet yet crunchy, cashew nuts are packed with energy, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins in sweet as well as savoury dishes. Although cashews are one of the low fibre nuts they are packed with vitamin E, K and B6 along with minerals like copper, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, iron and selenium. All of these are important for maintaining good bodily function. Cashews can help with the heart, blood and eye health but they are also good for weight loss too.
The recipe is really healthy and a great alternative to a meat version. It’s a recipe the whole family can enjoy. I didn’t tell my husband or son what this dish was made with. They ate the whole lot and then asked. It was surprising to them but they both enjoyed it. In fact they said it was yummy. So it’s a dish that’s definitely worth a try.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large saucepan
- Large saucepan for pasta
- Large bowl
- Baking dish
- Large spoon
Ingredients for the tomato sauce
- Aubergine x 2
- Onions x 1
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Carrots x 2
- Red pepper x 1
- Yellow pepper x 1
- Tinned tomatoes x 2 400g
- Tommy K or tomato puree x 1 tbsp
- Dried oregano x 1 tsp
- Bay leaves x 2
- Basil x 1 large handful
- Spinach x 200g
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the bechamel sauce
- Oat milk x 100 mls or more
- Cashew nut cream cheese x 250 mls
For the pasta
- Brown rice pasta x 300g
For the topping
- Sesame seeds x 2 tbsp
- Nutritional yeast x 2 tbsp
Method for the tomato sauce
- Start by slicing the carrots, peppers and courgettes.
- Then slice and quarter the aubergines.
- Slice the onions and the garlic.
- Set all the vegetables aside.
- Heat the pan on a medium to high heat.
- Add enough olive oil to cover the base of the pan.
- When the pan has heated, add the onions and garlic.
- Next add the aubergines, peppers, carrots and courgettes to the pan and fry until they have softened.
- Pour over the tomatoes.
- Then add the bay leaves, oregano and tommy k or tomato puree.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir all the ingredients into the sauce and then bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and leave to simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the bechamel sauce. Instructions are below.
- Leave 10 minutes at the end to boil the pasta sheets.
- Finally before removing the pan from the heat put in the basil and spinach and let them wilt down.
- After making this sauce and leaving it to simmer on the hob, preheat the oven to 180° and put the baking dish in.
Method for the vegan bechamel sauce
- Add the oat milk to the cashew nut cream cheese to the consistency you like.
- You can add more or less of the milk
Method for pasta sheets
- Cook as per the packet instructions in the large saucepan with boiling water.
- Once cooked, drain and leave to cool.
Method for putting lasagna together
- Remove the preheated baking dish from the oven.
- Add about half of the tomato sauce to the base of the dish.
- Then add about half of the lasagna sheets on top of the meat.
- Try to cover as much of the meat area as possible.
- Then add about half of the bechamel sauce.
- Then repeat the process.
- Once all the ingredients are finished, sprinkle nutritional yeast and sesame seeds on top.
- Return the dish to the oven and baked for about 20 – 25 minutes or until the topping has browned.
- Serve and enjoy with a green salad.
As I mentioned earlier, it’s a great meal the whole family can enjoy. It’s not good to freeze this meal. As I used brown rice pasta I know you can not freeze it. However if you are using wholewheat pasta or another type of pasta then you could freeze the meal. Plus it makes brilliant leftovers for lunch the next day. We often make more of a meal so we can have it for lunch. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, enjoy.