Recently we invited a couple of friends over for an afternoon. While they were here they discussed what they were going to have for dinner. My friend suggested to her husband they have Hasselback potatoes. He didn’t look too keen but I wanted to find out more. So I asked my friend and she gave me an explanation.
Although, I decided I needed to know more about these crispy balls of delicious fluff. So I did my research and I have uncovered a few interesting facts. Hasselback potatoes are historic. They were invented in Stockholm, Sweden in the 1700s by a chef who worked in a restaurant called Hasselbacken. The accordion cut and oil preparation make Hasselback potatoes creamy on the inside and crispy on the outside.
When I heard and read about this yummy way of cooking a potato I really wanted to try it. We had these with my GF and DF Chicken Kiev and salad and they were such a good way to eat potatoes. It was a nice break from boiled, oven baked or fried potatoes. Thanks to my friend for this suggestion, we really appreciate it and it was a fantastic way to eat potatoes.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Baking tray
- Garlic press
- New potatoes x 1
- Olive oil
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and put the baking tray in.
- Wash the new potatoes and begin to cut them
- Carefully make vertical slits in the potatoes, 1/2 centimetre apart and three quarters of the way down, all the way along.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and put the rosemary on the bottom and then the potatoes in.
- Drizzle with olive oil and using the plastic brush make sure the oil is spread evenly over the potatoes.
- Crush the garlic in the garlic press and spread this evenly over the potatoes.
- Put the baking tray into the oven for 25 – 30 minutes.
- When the potatoes are golden brown remove from the oven.
- Add to a dinner of your choice and enjoy.
Hasselback Potatoes are a great addition to any meal and we have now tried these with several dishes and love eating them. They are a big hit in our house and a different way to cook a new potato. You can also add infused oils or herbs to them and make them taste distinct in flavour again. However you decide to eat these scrummy potatoes, as always, enjoy.
What sort of potatoes do you enjoy? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you.