Nothing beats the taste of Homemade Mayonnaise. I always remember my Dad making mayonnaise for his coleslaw and I loved it. Mayonnaise is a complex condiment to master. It takes a lot of patience and time. However, once you have the knack you will never go back to shop bought again. Please take a look at the video link under the picture and blog post for an easy guide on how to make mayonnaise.
The taste of homemade mayonnaise is delish and my Dad’s is no exception. It’s so creamy and taste great with salads, coleslaw, burgers, chips and lots more. The ground nut oil gives the mayonnaise a lovely sweet flavour which I think is so different to anything I bought at the shops. Well worth a try.
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring jug
- Electric Whisk
- Egg yolks x 2
- Dijon mustard x 1 tsp
- Salt x 1/2 tsp
- Olive oil x 250 mls
- Apple cider vinegar x 1 tbsp
- Start by putting the egg yolk into the large mixing bowl.
- Pour the ground nut oil and olive oil into the measuring jug.
- Add the Dijon mustard and salt.
- Now begin to whisk these ingredients together.
- So hold the whisk in one hand and then in the other hold the jug with the oil in.
- While continuing to whisk, add a drop of the oil into the egg yolk mixture.
- The key to mayonnaise is that you keep whisking until the oil is well mixed in.
- Then once the oil is mixed in, add another drop and mix again.
- Keep adding the oil in the same way until the mayonnaise becomes white in colour and starts to thicken.
- When it becomes thick, stop adding the oil and add the apple cider vinegar.
- Now continue adding the oil in larger drops.
- Finally add in the last of the oil in a steady stream while still whisking.
- Then add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Sadly, homemade mayonnaise is not really freezable and it does need to be eaten within a week. So I always try to make two meals in the week that we will eat the mayonnaise with. Normally I make burgers or I put it into salads to save from wasting it. However you decide to eat this condiment, as always, enjoy.
What are your favourite condiments and have you ever tried to make them at home? Let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to like and follow me.