When I first started making crumbles I would simply stew the fruit on the hob. Then I started to think about other ways to cook the fruit for a crumble. When I have a busy day or just when I feel like it, I will pull the slow cooker from the cupboard and use it to cook the dinner. I had never really thought about using it for dessert. Apart from a rice pudding recipe. That was the only time I had used the slow cooker to cook a dessert.
Until now, when I decided to cook the fruit for our crumble. It was a simple but effective way to cook the apples and blueberries. The slow cooker made the cooked fruit taste yummy. It also meant that I did not have to stand over the hob and watch the fruit stew for 20 minutes. It gave me more time to cook the main meal but still have a delicious dessert to eat. Trust me, it’s well worth trying this one.
Have you stewed fruit in the slow cooker before and if so which fruit did you stew? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Vegetable peeler
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Mixing bowl
- Large spoon
- Baking dish
Ingredients for the base
- Eating Apples x 8 – 10
- Blueberries x 1 – 2 large handfuls
- Coconut Sugar x 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice x 1
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Water x 100mls
Ingredients for the base
- Ground flax, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame seeds and goji berries x 100g
- Ground almonds x 100g
- Coconut sugar x 100g
- Vegan butter x 100g
- Start by peeling the apples and removing the cores.
- Put the apple pieces into the slow cooker.
- Add in the coconut sugar, blueberries, lemon juice, cinnamon and water.
- Now put the lid on the slow cooker and turn to high for two hours and low for four hours.
- Cook until the apple pieces are soft and tender.
For the topping
- Cut the butter into cubes and place into a bowl with the other ingredients.
- Rub the butter and the dry ingredients together between your fingers.
- Keep rubbing until the ingredients resemble breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4
- Once the apples are cooked, turn off the slow cooker.
- Remove the apples with the large spoon and put them into the baking dish.
- Pour over the topping as evenly as possible.
- Once the oven is preheated, put the crumble into the oven for about 15 – 20 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
Slow cooked Flax Seed Apple Crumble was so yummy. My husband and I really enjoyed this dinner. We enjoy this dessert with a coconut cream and a tablespoon of maple syrup. It’s also delicious with yogurt and honey too. It’s great warmed up for breakfast with the yogurt and honey or as part of a packed lunch too. It’s a nutrient packed dessert which can be enjoyed anytime. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx