In recent years, for many different reasons, we have started to eat less meat. During the week instead of meat I have been using beans in our dinners. My husband Howard is not a fan of beans and he always tells me he prefers the small beans.
So with that in mind, for this recipe I decided to use haricot and black beans. These are smaller beans that are full of flavour. They are packed with protein and fibre. Plus beans can help to lower blood sugar levels and also help to keep the heart healthy.
So beans are definitely a healthy alternative to meat and one of the reasons they are used in lots of my recipes. I hate to tell my husband but the menu is not going to change anytime soon. Below is a video on how to make this dish and also the recipe too.
What’s your favourite black bean meal and have you ever thought about putting it in a meal. Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pan
- Stirring spoon
- Onion x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Red pepper x 1
- Yellow pepper x 1
- Tomatoes x 2 400g tins
- Black beans x 1 400g tin
- Haricot beans x 1 400g tin
- Tomato puree x 2 tbsps
- Tamari x 2 tbsp
- Oregano x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spinach or Kale x 2 large handfuls
- Start by peeling and grating the courgette.
- Cut the top from the peppers and remove the green stalk and the seeds.
- Slice the peppers and then cut the slices into cubes.
- Next slice the top and bottom from the onion.
- Now cut in half and slice thinly.
- Open the tinned beans and drain in the colander.
- Set these ingredients aside
- Put the frying pan on a high heat and add enough oil to cover the base of the pan.
- When the pan is hot, add in the onion and fry until they start to soften and become see through.
- Add in the courgette and pepper and fry for a further few minutes.
- Now pour over the tinned tomatoes and stir all of these ingredients together.
- Next add in the beans and stir again.
- Sprinkle over the oregano and add in the tomato puree and tamari.
- Again stir in these ingredients to the sauce and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring these ingredients to the boil and leave to simmer.
- Cook the pasta or quinoa as per the packet instructions.
- Once the pasta has cooked, stir in the spinach or kale to the sauce and let it wilt down.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Black and White Spaghetti Bolognese was a hit with my son but it’s definitely not a favourite of my husbands. I thought it was delicious and definitely a meal I would eat again. We tend to eat a lot of gluten free pasta in this house so I made this quinoa for a change but either is really good. All the ingredients in this dish are freezable. Therefore, you could make double for another meal. However you decide to eat this meal,as always, enjoy!
What’s your favourite black bean meal and have you ever thought about putting it in a meal. Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xx