Ted, my seven year old son, has always been a bit fussy when it comes to vegetables. Ever since he started eating proper meals he’s never really enjoyed the veg part of his meal. When he first started eating, I tried him on a variety of foods, but when I put vegetables on his plate he would just look away.
As he is my son I knew exactly what he would do. Plus when I tried to tell other mothers they would look at me in disbelief. I learned very early on to stop talking about my fussy eater especially to women whose children love to eat. Instead I discovered other ways of helping Ted enjoy his veg.
Two of his favourite foods are cheese and yogurt so in the early days a lot of his meals had cheese in them. Although cheese is good for you, too much isn’t so great. Then I discovered cashew nut cream cheese and I have been using it ever since. As long as it’s creamy and he can’t really see the vegetables, Ted will eat it. So this was a perfect dish for him. Below is a video and recipe for you.
Do you like cheesy meals and would you ever consider changing to a cashew nut cream cheese? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp Knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Large saucepans x 2
- Wooden Spoon
- Cashew Nuts x 100g
- Non dairy milk of your choice x enough to cover the nuts
- Nutritional yeast x 4 tbsps
- Onion x 1
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Courgettes x 2
- Red pepper x 2
- Tinned tomatoes x 2 400g tins
- Tomato puree x 2 tbsp
- Dried Oregano x 1 tsp
- Spinach or kale x 4 handfuls
- Red lentil pasta or a pasta of your choice x 300g
- Basil x 1 handful
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for the pan
- Pour the milk over the cashew nuts and put in the fridge for six hours or preferably overnight.
- Put the cashew nuts, milk and nutritional yeast (optional) into the blender or nutribullet cup.
- Blend these ingredients together and set aside.
- Peel and slice the onion and garlic.
- Next peel the courgette and slice it.
- Cut the top from the red peppers and remove the core.
- Slice the peppers and set these ingredients aside.
- Put a large pan on a high heat and add oil to the base.
- Spread the oil as evenly as possible across the base of the pan.
- When it’s hot, add the onion and fry until they become translucent/see through.
- Next add in the garlic, courgettes and red peppers and fry until they start to soften.
- Sprinkle over the oregano and fry for a further minute or so.
- Pour in the tomatoes and add the tomato puree.
- Stir these ingredients and turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Boil the pasta as per the packet instructions.
- Once the pasta is cooked drain through the colander.
- Add the basil, spinach or kale and let it wilt down.
- Next add cashew nut cream cheese.
- Finally add the pasta, serve and enjoy.
Vegan Cheesy No Cheese Veg Pasta was a great dish and so easy to do. The dish was full of flavour from the vegetables but also had a very silky texture. It was so good I don’t think you would know it wasn’t the ‘real’ cream cheese in there. The meal can also be frozen. All the ingredients are freezable so you could make double to eat on another occasion. However you decide to eat this dinner, as always, enjoy. Thank you. xxx