One Sunday in a month I will cook a roast dinner. I normally buy a large roast chicken and this will feed us for several meals. Plus I also stew the bones in my slow cooker for stock. As a family we quite often fancy more than one roast chicken a month. Therefore I will quite often cook the breasts of chicken instead of a whole bird.
Many years ago, a friend of mine would often cook chicken in this way. It would feed her little family of three perfectly. There is also a little less washing up and I don’t have to remove the meat from a large chicken to store it in the freezer. So less mess too. A win, win, for me.
To make the meal more interesting I often add herbs to the baking tray. On this occasion, I decided to add parma ham or you can use prosciutto ham as well. By wrapping the chicken in parma or prosciutto ham it makes the chicken very juicy and tender. It makes a delicious change from our usual roast chicken.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Roasting tray
- Chicken breasts x 4 or 2 large
- Parma or Prosciutto ham x 8 slices
- Garlic x 4 – 8 cloves
- Rosemary x small sprigs
- Butter or vegan butter x 80g
- Preheat the oven to 180° or gas mark 4.
- Peel and slice the garlic then set aside.
- Put the chicken breasts onto the chopping and cut them lengthways in half.
- Open the chicken breasts out so they lay flat on the chopping board.
- Place the garlic as evenly as you can in the chicken breasts.
- Slice the butter into 8 pieces and put two in each chicken.
- Now place the rosemary in the chicken breast and fold the breast back over.
- Wrap the each chicken breast in 2 pieces of Parma or Prosciutto ham.
- Put these breasts onto the baking tray.
- When the oven has preheated, put the tray in for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Put a skewer into each breast and if the juices run clear the chicken is cooked.
- If not, put the chicken back into the oven until the juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Then serve with roast potatoes and vegetables and cabbage.
Chicken Wrapped in Parma Ham with Rosemary and Garlic Butter was delicious and very well received by my husband Howard and son Ted. We all love a roast dinner and this one’s so good. It’s also a very adaptable meal as well. If you can’t get Parma or Prosciutto ham then you could use bacon. The chicken breasts could be made in advance of the meal and kept in the fridge for a day or so before roasting. It’s an easy roast chicken dinner for those busy days at home. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx