Tuna and chilli sauce are two ingredients I would have never thought to put together. The other day I was standing at the pantry trying to work out a menu for the week ahead when I spotted the mild chilli powder and the tinned tuna. Many years ago I made a Jamie Tuna Pasta. The recipe calls for ground cinnamon so I knew spices and tuna would work well together. I love tuna and it’s packed with health benefits too.
Firstly, tuna is a high source of protein and it’s also a good source of vitamins and minerals. It’s pack with vitamin B which can help to support the nervous system and skin too. As well as these benefits tuna can also help with bone health and muscle contractions.
Plus it’s packed with vitamin D which is something we lack as we get older. With all this in mind I decided it was a tuna and chilli night. I’m so pleased I did as the meal was so tasty. It will be one dish we will be eating again. Do you have a favourite tuna dinner, if so what is it? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like, comment and subscribe.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable grater
- Slow cooker
- Tuna x 2 tins
- Dried black beans x 160g
- Onion x 1
- Garlic cloves x 2
- Courgette x 1
- Carrot x 1
- Green beans x 1 handful
- Tomatoes x 1 400g tin
- Chicken stock or bone broth x 200mls
- Tomato puree x 2 tbsps
- Tamari x 2 tbsps
- Mild chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the beans in a bowl of water overnight in the fridge.
- Make sure the water covers the beans and add a little extra too.
- The next day drain off the excess water and put into a saucepan.
- Add enough water to cover the beans and 2 inches above the beans.
- Sprinkle in the baking powder and bring the beans to the boil.
- Once boiling turn the heat down and leave to simmer.
- Boil until the beans they are very soft.
- Peel and slice the onions and garlic and put into the slow cooker.
- Next peel and grate the courgette and carrots.
- Put these ingredients into the slow cooker.
- Add in the green beans, tinned tomatoes and stock or broth.
- Sprinkle in all the herbs and spices, plus the tomato puree and flour.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally stir all the ingredients together and put on a low heat for eight hours or a high heat for four hours.
- At the end of the cooking process add in the black beans and tuna.
- Stir these ingredients into the chilli and serve with rice, quinoa or millet.
- Then enjoy.
Slow Cooker Tuna and Black Bean Chilli was a very well received by my little family. It was a fantastic dinner to make and serve during our busy end of term time. You could make double of this dinner and freeze half for another occasion. All the ingredients in this meal are freezable. We really enjoyed this dinner and we hope you do too. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx