When I think of potatoes I often think of chips from the chippy. Although chip shop chips are delicious, they are normally cooked in cheap oil which can be inflammatory to the body. Therefore it made me realise that potatoes are often not the source of the obesity crisis but what we are cooking our food in might be.
According to research, when sunflower and corn oil are cooked over a high heat, they release toxic chemicals called aldehydes. The aldehydes have been linked to dementia, cancer, and heart disease. In this study, both of these oils produced aldehydes at levels 20 times higher than recommended by the World Health Organisation.
Olive oil and butter or ghee are much better to cook with. Especially when cooking with potato. When I cook chips at home I always use olive oil and now when cooking hash browns too. Olive has the opposite effect to oils like sunflower. It has large amounts of antioxidants and anti inflammatory properties too. Therefore olive oil is great at cooking potato chips and hash browns too.
Do you love chips and have you tried cooking them at home with olive oil and would you? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Potato peeler
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pans x 2
- Sausages x 8
- Onion x 1
- Potato x 800g
- Garlic granules x 2 tsps
- Dried herbs x 2 tsps
- Vegan or unsalted butter or ghee x 2 knobs
- Olive or sunflower oil x 1 – 2 tbsp
- Homemade Baked Beans x 1 recipe
- Start by making the Homemade Baked Beans with no carrots or onions.
- Preheat the oven and cook the sausages as per the packet instructions.
- Preheat the grill on medium to high.
- Peel and thinly slice an onion and set aside.
- Next peel and coarsely grate the potatoes.
- Put the grated potatoes and sliced onion into the large mixing bowl.
- Add in the garlic granules and dried mixed herbs.
- Mix the garlic and herbs in with the potatoes and set the bowl aside
- Put a large frying pan on a medium to high heat.
- Add two large knobs of a butter of your choice and the olive or sunflower oil.
- Once the pan is hot add the onion and fry until it starts to soften.
- It should take at least 3 – 5 minutes.
- When the onion starts to soften add in the potato and fry until it becomes golden brown.
- If the frying pan starts to smoke then turn the heat down.
- The potato will start to glue together but just keep moving it around the pan until it’s all a nice golden colour.
- Then pat it down until it’s flat and put it under the grill until the whole hash brown is golden brown.
- Once everything is cooked, remove it and serve with Ketchup or my homemade Tommy K.
- Then enjoy.
Garlic and Herbs Hash Browns, Sausages and Beans was a huge hit in our house. My husband Howard, son Ted and I love potatoes but this was delicious. I have made hash browns in the past but then I thought about adding different flavours to the hash browns. The results were amazing and it was simple to cook too. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you. xxx