Normally I use harricot or cannellini beans to make homemade baked beans. Beans are packed with fibre, protein and plenty of B vitamins. They make a delicious and easy dinner. I have made a variety of beans that can be found on my blog. For this recipe I decided to include chickpeas instead of cannellini beans.
Chickpeas are a rich source of vitamins and minerals. They offer a large selection of health benefits that include, weight management, helping digestion and they can greatly reduce your risk of disease as well. At first I was a little unsure if they would work in my homemade baked bean sauce. Therefore I decided to change that too. The results of this experiment were so tasty that it was a recipe I had to share with you.
Do you love bean and if so what’ your favourite meal? let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Baking tray
- Dried chickpeas x 200g or 2 tins of canned beans (your choice)
- Onion x 1
- Butternut squash x 200g
- Carrots x 1 large
- Tomatoes x 1 tin
- Vegetable or chicken
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the chickpeas beans overnight.
- Drain the beans through a colander and rinse them well.
- Add the beans to a large saucepan and cover the beans with water and then 2 inches above that as well.
- Put baking powder into the water and turn the heat onto high.
- Boil the beans for at least 20 mins.
- When they start to soften remove from the heat.
- Pour through the colander and rinse.
- Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 5.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and pierce whole in them with the knife all the way round.
- When the oven is preheated put the potatoes in for 1 hour or until soft in the middle.
- Peel, slice and dice the onion.
- Peel the butternut squash and remove any seeds.
- Then cut the squash into 1 centimetre pieces.
- Peel the carrot and cut into 1/2 centimetre pieces.
- Put these vegetables into the baking tray and drizzle oil over them.
- Toss the vegetables in the oil and place the tray into the oven for 30 – 40 minutes or until the vegetables are golden brown.
- Leave to cool then add to the blender along with the tinned tomatoes, chicken or vegetable stock and the dried mixed herbs.
- Blend all of these ingredients together.
- Pour the blended ingredients into a saucepan and add in the chickpeas.
- Heat the sauce and chickpeas up until warm.
- Remove the jackets from the oven when cooked.
- Cut the jackets in half and fill with a quarter of the chickpea beans.
- Repeat for the rest of the jackets.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Roasted Butternut Squash Chickpea Beans and Jacket was a success with me. My husband Howard and son Ted weren’t so keen on my different version of beans. I, on the other hand, loved it. They were very tasty and the chickpeas added an extra bit to the already yummy sauce. Plus they were very easy to prepare and cook. The ingredients in these beans is freezable as well. Therefore you could make extra and store them in the freezer for another occasion. However you decide to eat these beans with, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx