My husband Howard and son Ted love a Scotch Egg. Occasionally on a Saturday they will go to the supermarket and buy eggs for their lunch. It’s a favourite treat for them. Sadly due to the gluten I can’t eat the shop brought ones. Instead I have been opting to make my own.
Last year I made this delicious treat as a dinner with sausage meat. It was so yummy and I was thinking of making it again. Then it suddenly occurred to me that I had turkey mince in the freezer. I thought I would make the egg with turkey instead of pork mince. Plus, I know it’s too early but Christmas will soon be here, I also thought these would be great at a Christmas party too. Below is a video and recipe for you. .
What’s a favourite savoury treat in your house? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like, comment and subscribe.
- Small saucepan
- Vegetable peeler
- Vegetable grater
- Mixing bowl
- Small bowl
- Eggs x 4 medium
- Turkey/chicken mince x 500g
- Ground almonds x 4 tbsp
- Carrots x 1
- Tomato puree x 2 tbsps
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 – 2 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ground flax seed x 4 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4
- Put a small saucepan onto the hob.
- Boil the kettle and pour the boiled water into the pan.
- Turn the heat on the hob and wait for the water to boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil add salt to the water.
- Once the water starts to boil carefully add in the eggs.
- For soft boiled eggs boil for 5 minutes and for hard boiled 8 minutes.
- When the eggs have boiled pour the water away and run under a cold tap.
- Next keep the cold tap running and crack the eggs
- Remove the shell under the cold tap.
- Set the eggs to one side.
- Put the turkey/chicken mince into the mixing bowl.
- Add in the ground almonds, grated carrot, tomato puree, dried mixed herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Wet your hands under the tap
- Scrunch these ingredients together in your hands.
- Once everything is mixed together split the mixture into four parts.
- At this point you may need to wet your hands again.
- Grad a piece of the mixture and flatten it in the palm of your hand.
- Put the egg in the middle and then wrap the meat around the boiled egg.
- Set this aside and repeat the process for the other eggs.
- Once all the eggs are covered in the meat put the ground flax seed into a small bowl.
- Roll the meat covered egg in the ground flax seed and repeat the process.
- Once all the scotch eggs are covered in the ground flax seed put them into the baking tray.
- Cook the scotch eggs for 25 – 30 minutes or until the juice run clear from the turkey/chicken.
- Remove from the oven and serve with chips and beans or salad.
- Then enjoy.
Turkey/Chicken Mince Scotch Eggs were a huge hit in our house. We all loved them. As I mentioned earlier, they would be great as a meal or you could serve them at a party. They would also be good to make and take on a picnic as well. We loved these tasty eggs and we hope you enjoy them too. However you decide to eat these treats, as always, please enjoy. xxx