When I think of feta cheese I find myself thinking of a Greek salad and I certainly don’t think of putting it on a pizza. Now if you have been reading my blog for a while you will know how I love to experiment with foods. So I decided while standing in the cheese aisle of the local supermarket that I would make a pizza with this delicious cheese.
Feta is a nutritionally dense cheese that is a great option for getting flavour. It’s a cheese that the body finds easy to digest and it probably won’t inflame your digestive system. Feta is better raw and avoid it if it’s made from pasteurized cows milk. It’s also important to remember that this type of cheese is high in sodium and saturated fat. Therefore it should only be consumed sparingly and not everyday.
- Large bowls x 3
- Small saucepan
- Metal spoon
- Nutribullet or blender
- Frying pan
- Ice cream scoop or a small ladle
- Fish slice
- Plastic brush
- Baking trays
Ingredients for the pizza
- Sweet potato x 200g
- Chickpea flour x 200g
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Milk x 200ml (your choice)
- Eggs x 2 (medium)
- Dried mixed Herbs x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
Method for the pizza base
- Makes 4 large or 8 small.
- Start by peeling the sweet potatoes and cut into 2 cm pieces.
- Place the small saucepan on the hob and add boiling water to it.
- Then place the colander on top and put the sweet potato pieces in it.
- Leave on the hob with the water simmering below for 15 -20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the chickpea flour, baking powder and dried mixed herbs together.
- Add the eggs and whisk all the ingredients together and set aside.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked, add the milk and blend in a nutribullet.
- Then add it to the pancake mix and blend together.
- Put the frying pan on the hob on a high heat.
- Put a small amount of olive oil in the pan and use a plastic brush to cover the base.
- Take your ice cream scoop or ladle and fill it with pancake mixture and place it in the pan.
- Now wait until the pancake starts to cook around the outside.
- Give it a good minute or two minutes before flipping over.
- Hopefully they should be a nice golden brown colour.
- Wait for the other side to cook.
Ingredients for the topping
- Feta cheese x 200g
- Ham x 200g
- Tomato puree x 2 tbsps
- Olives x 60
- Preheat the grill to a high heat.
- Now put the pizzas onto baking trays.
- Spread the tomato puree across the base of the pizzas.
- Chop the feta cheese into cubes and spread evenly across the pizzas
- Tear the ham with your hands and again spread evenly.
- Place the olives on the pizzas.
- Put the pizzas under the grill.
- Once the cheese and ham start to crisp around the edges remove from the grill.
- Serve with a green salad and enjoy.
My husband Howard and son Ted are not fans of feta cheese. I did try Ted on a piece of the feta but he was not a fan. So it was only me eating this pizza and it was delicious. I used my sweet potato pancakes recipe and turned then savoury by adding dried mixed herbs instead of cinnamon. The feta did not melt like mozzarella but it was still yummy. It gave this pizza a distinct flavour and I will definitely be eating this again.
What toppings do you enjoy on your pizza? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx