By now you may have already had enough of Turkey and to be honest I actually can’t blame you. Turkey is a poor bird whose meat only seems to be touched once a year. Well, not in this house. We eat turkey all year round as it’s a great lean meat that is packed full of protein and it makes a filling meal.
A few years ago we bought a whole turkey for Christmas Day from the butchers. It was a huge piece of meat for just four people and a little one. Thankfully they removed the legs and ground the meat. Then I was left with ground turkey in the freezer but I didn’t mind that. I had recipes in mind that I wanted to try. So if you have been left with ground turkey mince like me, this dish could be a winner in your house too.
- Sharp Knife
- Chopping board
- Large mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- Onion x 1
- Carrot or courgette x 1 (optional)
- Mince turkey x 500g
- Bacon x 4 rashers
- Egg x 1
- Tommy k or tomato puree x 2 tbsp
- Ground flax seed x 4 tbsp
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4 and put the baking tray in.
- Peel and thinly chop the onion.
- Next peel and grate the carrot or courgette.
- Thinly slice the bacon rashers and add all of these ingredients to the bowl.
- Add in the mince turkey, egg, tommy k or tomato puree, flax seed and dried mixed herbs.
- Now add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix all these ingredients together.
- Finally, make the turkey mixture into 4 burgers and remove the baking tray from the oven.
- Put the burgers into the tray and cook for around 25 – 30 minutes.
- Once they are golden brown, remove from the oven and serve with chips and salad or a broccoli and avocado salad. (Coming soon)
The burgers are a very simple way to use any leftover turkey mince you may have in your freezer. Plus they are a healthy meal that the whole family will enjoy. There were no complaints from my lot. We ate this with my homemade sweet potato chips and I also made a broccoli and avocado salad which was delicious. The recipe will be on my blog after this one. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, enjoy. xxx
What’s your favourite way to use the leftover turkey. Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like, comment and subscribe to my channel. See you all soon. xxx