To be honest I have been thinking about making a chocolate swiss roll for a long time. I hate to admit it now but I was always a little bit scared of making this cake. It sounds silly now I’ve done it but I thought the cake would fall apart when I tried to roll it.
As it’s the time of year we tend to ‘roll out’ this type of cake so I thought I would investigate other Swiss Roll recipes. I discovered that the cake actually needs to be very light but flexible to be able to roll it. Once I made the cake I realised there is nothing to fear.
The cake was a huge success and everyone who ate it really enjoyed it. Although this cake was time consuming, the efforts were worth the results and I may make more like this one in the future. So watch this space.
Have you ever been afraid of a recipe? If so, which one? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Large mixing bowl x 2
- Mixing bowl
- Electric whisk
- Stirring Spoon
- Rubber spatula
- Fine grater
- Baking tray
- Grease proof paper
- Plastic brush
- Tea towel
- Small saucepan
Ingredients for the sponge
- Maple syrup x 100mls
- Eggs x 4 medium
- Vanilla extract x 1 tsp
- Sweet potato x 100g
- Rice flour x 50g
- Raw cacao powder x 20g
- Baking powder x 1tsp
- Maple syrup for the grease proof paper
Ingredients for the filling
- Raspberries x 2 handfuls
- Brown sugar x 2 tbsps
- Water x 20mls
Ingredients for the cashew nut cream cheese
- Cashew nut cream cream x 100g
- Maple syrup x 2 tbsp
Method for making the sponge
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Pre line the baking tray with a sheet of grease proof paper.
- Pour a little of the extra maple syrup onto the grease proof paper.
- Spread it across the base with the plastic brush.
- Now pour the maple syrup into a large mixing bowl.
- Remove 2 tablespoons of maple syrup from the mixing bowl and put them into the other mixing bowl.
- Seperate the eggs and put the yolks into the bowl with 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
- Then put the whites into the bowl with the rest of the syrup.
- Add in the vanilla extra and whisk all of these ingredients together.
- Once the egg whites are stiff and you can put the bowl upside down above your head with the mixture falling out, set the bowl aside.
- Peel and finely grate the sweet potato.
- Whisk the eggs yolks and maple syrup together.
- When these ingredients are fluffy, add in the sweet potato and continue whisking.
- Now with the rubber spatula fold one third of the egg whites mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
- Once these are well mixed together, fold in the final third of the egg whites.
- To do this, put the egg whites into the middle of the bowl.
- Go under the contents of the bowl with the spatula as if you are cleaning the sides and put the mixture from the bottom of the bowl on top.
- Continue this process until everything is mixed in.
- Mix the baking powder, raw cacao powder and rice flour together in a bowl.
- Then pour the bowl into a sieve over the cake mixture.
- Now sieve these ingredients into the mixture and fold these in as well.
- When everything is well mixed together pour the mixture into the baking tray.
- Spread the mixture carefully across the base of the tray.
- Being careful not to knock the air out of the cake.
- Put the cake into the middle of the oven for 15 minutes.
- Place a skewer into the cake and if it comes out clean it’s cooked.
- If it doesn’t come out clean put the cake back in for another couple of minutes and test again.
- Repeat this process until the skewer is clean.
- Lay the clean tea towel on a flat surface and remove the cake from the oven.
- Turn the cake upside down so that the grease proof paper is facing you.
- Remove the grease proof paper immediately.
- Then put it back and then roll the cake in the tea towel and paper.
- Leave in a roll for 15 minutes.
Method for the jam
- Place the small saucepan on a high heat on the hob.
- Add the raspberries, water and sugar.
- Stir these ingredients together
- Bring these ingredients to the bowl and then turn the heat down.
- Leave to simmer until all the sugar has dissolved and the fruit has softened.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
Method for the cashew nut cream cream
- Pour two tablespoons of maple syrup into the bowl of cashew nut cream cheese and mix together.
Method for putting the cake together.
- Unroll the cake and remove the paper completely.
- Place the cake on a board.
- Spread the cashew nut cream cheese across the cake.
- Don’t go too close to the edges as the cream and jam will spread once the cake is rolled up again.
- Now spread the jam on top of the cream cheese.
- Next roll the cake again.
- Leave the cake to cool completely.
- Then store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Finally enjoy.
Cashew Nut Cream Cheese and Raspberry Chocolate Swiss Roll made a delicious dessert after our dinner. As I mentioned earlier, everyone who ate this was very impressed and although it took time to make it was worth it in the end. It can be eaten as a dessert or could be a yummy afternoon treat too. However you decide to eat this cake, as always, enjoy.
Thank you. xxx