When I was little I always remember my maternal grandmother, Nan or Nanny making Rock cakes. Occasionally, when I went to stay with her, I would help my Nan to make these cakes and I really enjoyed spending time with her doing this. Especially if I got to lick the bowl.
On one occasion my Nan offered her cakes to my Dad. My Dad politely accepted and I remember him being pleasantly surprised. He told her the cakes were really good and he politely asked her what she had put in them. I don’t think she could remember so she told him that she would just throw anything into them. My Dad, being the very sarcastic man that he could be, then decided to name them Nanny’s Horrible Cakes. It then became a running joke in our family and that’s how Nanny’s Horrible Cakes came to life.
My Nan wasn’t the greatest cook but she did have great ideas. She also had a lot of common sense and she made the best rock cakes. When I tested this recipe on Ted and Howard, my son and husband, they loved them. They passed the test with my family so hopefully they will pass the test with your friends and family too. I have uploaded a video on how to make these cakes on my YouTube channel Googie’s Kitchen and I have posted the recipe below.
Did you make cakes with your Nan and if so, what type of cakes did you make? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like, comment and follow me.
- Large mixing bowl
- Sharp knife
- Measuring jug
- Small Bowl
- Spelt Flour x 225g
- Baking powder x 1 tbsp
- Coconut sugar x 50g
- Vanilla powder x 1/4 tsp
- Butter or ghee x 125g
- Carrot x 1
- Raisins x 100g
- Oat milk x 40mls or a milk of your choice
- Egg x 1
- Preheat the oven to 180°.
- Grease a baking tray with a small amount of the butter.
- Then line with a sheet of baking paper.
- Weigh and measure the ingredients.
- Next add the flour, baking powder, coconut sugar and vanilla powder into the large mixing bowl.
- Mix these ingredients together.
- Cut the cold butter into cubes and put in the large mixing bowl too.
- With clean hands start to rub the butter and flour mixture together until it forms breadcrumbs.
- Add the raisin to the flour and butter mixture.
- Grate the carrot and add this too.
- Crack an egg into the small bowl and add the milk.
- Whisk the egg and the milk together.
- Now mix the egg mix into the flour mix.
- Once the mixture forms a batter start to divide it into 12 cakes.
- The batter will be slightly drier than a normal cake mixture.
- Finally put the cakes into the oven for around 15 – 20 minutes.
- When they are golden brown remove and leave to cool.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Nanny’s Horrible Cakes were always yummy to me as a kid and when I made them again at the weekend they were still as delicious. As I mentioned earlier my husband and son loved the cakes too. They each had a rock cake for a Saturday afternoon snack and they ate them with jam. I think they would taste good with honey too. However you decide to eat these cakes, as always, enjoy.