In our house, my husband Howard and son Ted love chicken and chorizo sausages. Howard and Ted would eat chicken and sausages all day long if they were given the option. For me, I really enjoy adding spices to my dishes and I love making different flavour combinations.
So I decided to put the chicken and chorizo together and add a few spices I would normally use as part of a chilli. Plus I added a couple of extra spices like the Sumac and garlic granules too. I was very unsure of the end result but I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome of this dinner. It was so tasty. My little family thoroughly enjoyed this meal. It’s one I will be making again. Below is the video and recipe for you.
Have you ever tried a chilli with slightly different ingredients in? If so, what ingredients were they and more importantly, what did it taste like? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow Cooker
- Chicken mince x 500g
- Chorizo x 100g
- Onion x 1
- Butternut squash x 1
- Red pepper x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Carrot x 1
- Tinned tomatoes x 2 400g
- Chicken stock or bone broth x 200mls
- Brown rice flour or plain flour x 2 – 4 tbsp
- Garlic granules x 2 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Mild or hot powder x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Sumac x 1 tsp
- Ground sweet cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Ground coriander x 1 tsp
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Fresh coriander
- Peel, slice and chop the onion.
- Now peel the butternut squash and cut into 2 centimetre pieces.
- Next peel the carrot and courgette and grate it.
- Place all these ingredients into the slow cooker pot.
- Pour over the tinned tomatoes and chicken stock or bone broth.
- Sprinkle over the brown rice, garlic granules, smoked paprika, mild or hot chilli powder, ground ginger, sumac, ground sweet cinnamon, ground coriander, ground cumin and dried mixed herbs.
- Slice the chorizo and add this to the pot along with the the chicken mince.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir all of these ingredients together.
- Turn the slow cooker on to high for four hours and low for eight hours.
- Thirty minutes before the end of the cooking process cut up the handful of fresh coriander and add this to the pot.
- Add in the spinach too.
- Cook the rice as per my instructions and serve.
- Then enjoy.
Chicken and Chorizo was a huge success in our house. Both Howard and Ted had clean plates by the end of this meal and so did I. We all thought this was a delicious meal that would feed a family or friends very easily. Plus we had leftovers of the sauce so we have stored these in the deep freeze for another yummy meal soon. However you decide to eat this dinner, as always, please enjoy. Thank you. xxx