Fish dishes are one of our favourites in this house. My son Ted and I are huge fish fans but my husband Howard is not so keen. Therefore I’m always looking for new ways to cook fish for the family that will be enjoyed. We do tend to eat a lot of salmon. It’s packed full of omega 3’s and B vitamins. Plus it’s a great source of protein and a brilliant source of potassium.
So great for those people growing in the family but even better for people who are getting older too. We all need all of the above and more. Howard and I love spicy food so this was a perfect dish for us to eat. Although Howard doesn’t like fish that much he really enjoyed it cooked this way. To be honest Ted had his plain. It was still a little bit too spicy for him but he did enjoy it too. A meal that’s pack full of goodness that the whole family can enjoy. Below is a video and recipe for you.
Do you like spicy fish or is plain more your meal? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Mixing bowl x 2
- Baking tray
- Large saucepan
- Plastic brush
- Stirring spoon
Ingredients for the quinoa risotto
- Onion x 1
- Red Pepper x 2
- Courgette x 2
- Tinned tomatoes x 1
- Tomato puree x 2 tbsps
- Tamari or soy sauce x 2 tbsps
- Chicken stock x 600mls
- Quinoa x 180g
- Spinach or kale x 1 – 2 large handfuls
Method for the Quinoa Risotto
- Peel, slice and dice the onion.
- Next peel the courgettes and slice them.
- Cut the top from the red pepper and remove the stalk and core.
- Slice and dice the pepper.
- Put the large saucepan onto a high heat and add oil to the base.
- Spread the oil across the base of the pan with a plastic brush.
- When the pan is hot add the onion and fry until it starts to soften.
- Add in the courgettes and peppers and fry until these start to soften slightly.
- Put the quinoa into the pan and fry for a minute or so.
- Pour in the tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Stir all of these ingredients together and bring to the boil.
- Add in the tomato puree and tamari or soy sauce.
- Again stir these ingredients in and when it’s boiling reduce the heat to a low temperature.
- Put the lid on the large saucepan and leave to simmer until all the stock has absorbed into the quinoa.
- Finally, but this is optional, add in the spinach or the quinoa.
Ingredients for the spice mix
- Cumin seeds x 2 tsps
- Dried coriander leaf x 2 tsps
- Smoked paprika x 2 tsps
- Dried oregano x 2 tsps
- Hot, medium or mild chilli powder x 1 – 2 tsps
- Garlic granules x 2 tsps
- Olive oil or an oil of your choice x 2 tbsps
- Salmon fillets x 4
Method for the spice mix
- Pre heat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
- Put the cumin seeds, dried coriander leaf, smoked paprika, hot, medium or mild chilli powder and garlic granules into a mixing bowl.
- Pour over the oil and stir these ingredients together.
- Place all 4 salmon fillets into the mixing bowl and cover them with the spice mix paste.
- Set this aside until the oven has pre-heated.
- Finally put the salmon onto a baking tray and place in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes.
Ingredients for the salsa
- Avocado x 1
- Lime x 1
Method for the salsa
- Cut the avocado length ways in half and remove the stone.
- Score length ways down the flesh and then side ways.
- Scoop out the pieces of flesh from the skin.
- Put it into a mixing bowl.
- Now cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice over the avocado.
- Once the salmon is cooked and the quinoa risotto is done, place in a bowl.
- Finally add a quarter of the salsa to each of the meals.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Spicy Mexican Salmon with a Lime and Avocado Salsa and Quinoa Risotto was a big hit with was Howard and Ted. It was a surprisingly easy dinner to cook without too much hassle. The meal is one that could be made in less than an hour and it’s so tasty too. Plus it’s also packed full of the right nutrients a family needs. The risotto could be frozen and eaten on another occasion. It also makes a really great leftover meal to take with you too. However, you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you. xxx