Burgers are always a big hit in our house and so is pork. Occasionally I like to combine the two and make pork burgers. A few week ago I discovered how to make a flat burger. I decided to use this technic for the pork. The apples for this recipe were picked from our tree. I cooked the apples and froze them into batches. Also the blackberries were picked in our garden too. They were hanging over the fence from the neighbours garden. The neighbours are ok with us picking and eating the blackberries.
Every week I sit down to write a menu and as I was considering what we could eat that week I thought about the mince pork in the freezer. Then it occurred to me that we also had stewed frozen apples and frozen blackberries too. I then thought I could add these two ingredients to the mince pork. At first I wasn’t sure about the flavours in this burger. I did wonder if my husband Howard and son Ted would notice. I’m pleased to announce they didn’t just like there burgers, they loved them. The results were amazing and one dish we will be making again.
What interesting burger combinations have you eaten in the past? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Fork or juicer
- Mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- Apples x 6 – 8
- Blackberries x 1 handful
- Water x 50 mls
- Lemon or lime x 1 zest and juice
- Flaxseed x 4 tbsps
- Pork mince x 500g
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Start by peeling, coring and chopping the apples.
- Roughly chopped is OK.
- Put them into the large saucepan along with the water and lemon or lime zest and juice.
- Now put on a high heat to bring to the boil.
- Then place on a lower heat and leave to simmer for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Or until the apples have softened.
- Once the apple are soft add in the blackberries and remove from the heat.
- Leave to cool and set aside.
- Once the apples have cooled pour them into the blender.
- Blend these ingredients together.
- Measure out the flaxseeds into the mixing bowl and add about 4 tablespoons of the apple and blackberry puree.
- Add in the pork mince and mix these ingredients together.
- Sprinkle over salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Scrunch all these ingredients together with your hands.
- Once everything is well mixed together divide the mixture into four even parts.
- Now flatten the burger and make sure their is a dip in the middle of the burger.
- It will hopefully stop if from rising when in the oven.
- Place the burgers onto a baking tray and put into the oven for about 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown on the outside.
- Then serve with chips and salad or beans and enjoy.
Apple and Blackberry Pork Burgers were a huge hit in this house. While I was writing this blog post Howard saw the title and asked whether he had eaten these burgers. Of course he had and he told me I was a sneaky mummy. If you have fussy eaters it’s a great way to serve them foods they might not necessarily eat. The flavours in this burger were very subtle. The apples just added a little bit of sweetness to the burgers. These burgers could be made in advance of a meal and frozen. Then defrosted before you want to eat them. However you decided to eat these burgers, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx