My family loves a crumble and I really enjoy making them. Now if I’m cooking a roast and we want crumble for dessert I have found a new way to cut corners. (Yes, I cut corners and no, I don’t go to the local supermarket to buy one!) During the week or at the weekend when I have time I like to make fruit compotes to have with porridge, yogurts or muesli in the morning. If I have lots of it and a few ginger nut biscuits left in the jar, I use the compote and crush the ginger nuts up. Then I sprinkle the the crushed gingerbread men over the top and there you have a fruit crumble.
It’s a very quick and simple dessert, once you have made the fruit compote. Plus it’s healthy and filling as well. The fruit compote tastes delicious with the ginger nut biscuits. It definitely is a delicious match made in heaven and well worth a try. Below is a video and recipe for you.
Do you love a quick dessert? If so, what’s your favourite? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Fork or juicer
- Food bag
- Rolling pin
- Wooden stirring spoon x 2
- Ginger nut Biscuits x 4 -5 (depending on size)
- Apple 4 – 5
- Lemon or lime x juice and zest
- Apple juice x 100mls
- Blueberries x 1 large handful optional
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Coconut cream x 50 mls
- Maple syrup x 1 tablespoon
- Start by peeling, coring and chopping the apples.
- Roughly chopped is OK.
- Put them into the large saucepan along with the 100mls of apple juice or enough to cover the base.
- Add in the lemon or lime juice and zest.
- Then add the cinnamon and stir these ingredients together.
- Put the pan on a high heat to bring to the boil.
- Then place on a lower heat and leave to simmer for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Towards the end of the cooking process add in the blueberries and stir round the pan
- Once the apples and blueberries have softened remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Put the biscuits inside the food bag and tie the bag up.
- Crush with the rolling pin.
- Set aside.
- Empty the cook fruit evenly into the 2 bowls with the spoon.
- Sprinkle the ginger nut crumbs over the 2 bowls.
- Add a of tablespoon of maple syrup to the coconut cream.
- Then pour as much as required over the top of each crumble.
- Serve and enjoy.
Very Quick Spicy Fruit Crumble is a great dish if you have those last minute visitors and need a quick dessert. It takes no time at all to prepare and my family certainly enjoyed eating it. It can also be made into a vegan recipe by replacing the yogurt with coconut cream and maple syrup. However you decide to eat it, as always, enjoy.