A couple of weeks ago I made my caramelised pineapple and mint with coconut cream and maple syrup. We have not had this dessert for such a long time and it so yummy. While I was eating it I wondered what it would taste like in a crumble. I decided to test this thought and we were not disappointed by the results.
My husband Howard has recently started eating shop bought granola for his breakfast. I have been promising him I would make him a jar for a few weeks now. When I first thought about the crumble I decided it was the perfect time to make the granola and use it as a topping for the crumble. The leftover granola went in a glass jar and can be stored for a good three to four weeks.
The best part is this dessert can be stored in jam jars. We will hopefully be going on day trips again soon as summer, touch wood, is on the way. So I thought this would make a perfect picnic dessert to take with us. It stores easily in a fridge or can be taken with you for lunch on a trip or at work too. Plus you can reuse your old jam jars making this a super cheap and tasty pudding. Below is a video and recipe for you.
Do you reuse jam jars and what do you put in your jars? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping Board
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Baking tray
- Grease proof paper
- Small saucepan
- Frying pan
- Plastic brush
Ingredients for the Pecan and Goldenberry Granola
- Gluten free oats x 200g
- Brown rice puffs x 50g
- Pecans x 100g
- Pumpkin seeds x 50g
- Coconut sugar x 150g
- Coconut oil x 4 heaped tbsp
- Vanilla extract x 2 tsps
- Cinnamon x 1 tbsp
- Goldenberries or raisins x 100g (optional)
Method for the granola
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Line a baking tray with a sheet of greaseproof paper.
- Chop the pecans and add these to the large mixing bowl.
- Then add in the oats, brown rice puffs, pumpkin seeds, coconut sugar and cinnamon.
- Put the small saucepan onto a medium to high heat and put the coconut oil in.
- Melt the coconut oil in the pan and add the vanilla extract.
- Stir these ingredients together and remove the pan from the heat.
- You don’t want to cook the coconut oil, it just needs to melt down.
- Pour the melted coconut oil over the granola mix.
- Stir all of these ingredients together.
- Put the granola mix onto the baking tray and greaseproof paper.
- Flatten the granola mix as evenly as possible and put this into the oven.
- Bake for around 15 – 25 minutes.
- Half way through, take the granola mix out of the oven and turn the granola.
- Be careful of the pecans as they might darken quicker than the rest of the granola.
- Once the granola is golden brown in colour, remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- It’s optional but you can add goldenberries or raisins to the granola once it’s cooled completely.
- Just sprinkle over the top and mix into the granola.
Ingredients for the pineapple and mint
- Pineapple x 1 large
- Mint x 8 – 10 leaves
- Ground cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Coconut sugar x 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Ghee, unsalted butter or coconut oil x 2 tsp
- Coconut or cream x 100 mls
- Maple syrup x 1 – 2 tbsp
- Start by chopping the top and bottom of the pineapple off.
- Then remove the side of the pineapple.
- Next chop the pineapple in half and then into quarters.
- Remove the core by cutting it away from the fleshy part of the pineapple.
- Slice the quarters in half lengthways and then chop into pineapple chunks.
- Next rip up the mint leaves roughly with your hands.
- Put the frying pan onto a high heat and add in the ghee, unsalted butter or coconut oil.
- Spread around the base of the pan with the plastic brush.
- Wait for the pan to get hot and then add in the torn up mint.
- Tip the pan to one side and cook the leaves in the fat for a minute or so.
- Add in the pineapple and heat through for a few minutes
- Sprinkle over the coconut sugar and cinnamon as well.
- Fry until the pineapple starts to soften and go golden in colour.
- Once it’s a golden colour, remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
Ingredients for the coconut cream and maple syrup
- Coconut Cream x 200mls
- Maple syrup x 2 – 4 tbsps
- Pour the coconut cream into a small bowl and add the maple syrup.
- Mix these ingredients together.
Ingredients for the jam jar crumble
- Gluten free granola x 16 tbsps
- Caramelised pineapple and mint x 1 recipe above
- Coconut cream and maple syrup x 1 recipe above
- Method for putting the jam jar crumble together.
- Start by dividing the pineapple evenly into the bottoms of the four jam jars.
- Then put in about 3 – 4 heaped tablespoons of granola.
- Finally divide the coconut cream and maple syrup between the jam jars.
- Put the lids on the jam jars and store in the fridge or take with you immediately.
- Finally enjoy.
Jam Jar Pineapple and Mint Crumble with Pecan and Goldenberry Granola was a big hit in our house. Howard and I didn’t have this as part of a picnic. Instead we ate it as a Saturday night pudding in front of a film. It was a super sweet treat and we both really enjoyed it. Howard also said he thought it was very tasty too. It’s not just for picnic days; you can also eat this dessert after your main meal. Plus it makes a great summer or winter dessert and it could be served at a BBQ or dinner party. However you decided to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx