‘Grandma’s Chicken Soup’, always reminds me of an episode of Friends. Joey, one of the main characters , is speaking about talking sexy and how he can make anything sound sexually attractive. Rachel, another main character, then asks Joey to make make Grandma’s chicken soup sexy. Joey does and it’s so funny. I love this episode and everytime I make a chicken soup I’m always reminded of it.
Although I laugh when I make this dish Grandma’s chicken soup is not only great for the soul but brilliant for the immune system too. During winter is the best time to eat more warming and nourishing foods especially soup. By keeping our bodies warmer with food we help to protect our immune system from the cold. Grandma’s chicken soup is a great way to stay healthy in the winter. Below is a video and recipe for you.
Do you remember that line from Friends and if so, what was your favourite episode? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Serving spoon
- Chicken x 500g
- Dried cannellini x 300g or 2 400g tins
- Leek x 1
- Carrot x 1
- Butternut squash x 200g
- Chicken stock x 1.5 litres
- Rosemary x 2 sprigs
- Thyme x 2 sprigs
- Chicken stock x 1 ltr
- Milk x 500ml (Your choice)
- Dried oregano x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the cannellini beans as per the packet instruction if using dried.
- If using tinned drain and wash the beans through the beans.
- Once they are drained and washed put the beans in the slow cooker.
- Cut the top and the tail from the leek.
- Slice the leek in half lengthways and rinse the leek under the tap.
- Now slice the leek and put the slices into the pot.
- Peel the carrot and the butternut squash using the vegetable peeler.
- Cut the carrot into slices and put into the slow cooker pot.
- Slice the butternut squash in half and remove any seeds.
- Now cut the butternut squash into 1 centimetre pieces and put the pieces into the pot as well.
- To pull the leaves from the stalks of the rosemary and thyme take the top end and pull downwards aiming the leaves into the pot.
- Pour over the chicken stock and add in the dried oregano.
- Add salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Stir all these ingredients together.
- Turn the slow cooker on for 4 hours on high and 8 hours on low.
- Once the chicken soup has cooked turn the slow cooker off, remove the lid and then leave to cool.
- When the soup is cool use the ladle to pour it into the blender.
- Now blend all the ingredients together.
- You may need to blend the ingredients in two or three batches.
- Also you will need a two litre jug to pour the batches in.
- When all the batches are blended pour in a saucepan and heat through until warm enough to serve.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooked Creamy Chicken Soup was a massive hit in our house. Both my husband Howard and son Ted really enjoyed this dish. They both suggested the next time I make it I leave chunky pieces of chicken in the soup. That they said would make it even more tasty. My soup also suggested that is tasted like cream of chicken soup from the tin. I don’t know how I did it but it was a hit with my little family. All the ingredients in this dish are freezable so you could make a big batch and freeze it for another occasion. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you