In the past I have thought about cooking brown rice in a slow cooker but I have always decided against the idea. I don’t know why but I didn’t think it would work. When I cook brown rice I always put it in a saucepan on the hob. I normally bring it to the boil and then I leave it to simmer for a long time until all the water has disappeared.
In a slow cooker pot I couldn’t bring the rice to the boil so I think that’s why I thought it wouldn’t work. Thankfully I was very wrong. Eventually I researched cooking rice in a slow cooker and I discovered a number of results. Therefore I decided to cook this delicious dish in my slow cooker. The dinner was amazing and it’s a recipe I had to share with you.
Have you ever cooked a meal you didn’t think would work? If so, did it turn out ok or not. Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Stirring or wooden spoon
- Serving spoon
- Bacon – 8 rashers
- Leek x 1
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Courgette x 1
- Brown rice x 300g
- Bone broth or chicken stock x 900mls
- Miso paste, tamari or soy sauce x 2 tsp
- Unsalted butter x 1 knob
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh rosemary x 4 sprigs
- Spinach x 2 handfuls
- Parmesan or strong cheddar x 1 handful (optional)
- Wash the rice through the colander under cold water.
- Put the washed rice into the slow cooker pot.
- Pour over the bone broth or chicken stock.
- Add in the butter and the miso paste, tamari or soy sauce.
- Peel and slice the courgette and add this to the slow cooker pot.
- Remove the top and bottom from the leek.
- Slice the leek and add this to the slow cooker pot.
- Remove the skin from the garlic and slice it.
- Put this into the slow cooker pot as well.
- Add in the sprigs of rosemary too.
- Put the lid on the pot and cook for 2 hours on high.
- Once all the broth or stock has disappeared the rice will be cooked.
- It may take less time to cook, depending on the slow cooker pot, so check it after 1 and a 1/2 hours.
- Remove the lid and give it a stir.
- If there is liquid still in the pot pop the lid back on and leave for another 30 minutes or so.
- Once everything is cooked add in the spinach and cheese (optional).
- Stir these ingredients into the rice.
- Finally, serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Leek and Bacon Brown Rice Risotto was a simple dinner to prepare and cook. My little family and I really enjoyed this meal. It would make a tasty mid week dish or if you have a busy weekend a brilliant Saturday or Sunday lunch or dinner. The ingredients in this meal aren’t freezable. Plus rice can harbour bad bacteria if frozen. You can eat rice cold but don’t leave it longer than a day to eat the meal. However you decide to eat this dish, as always please enjoy. Thank you.