My Dad loved tasty but simple food. He enjoyed eating meals that were full of flavour but he didn’t like to over complicate his dinners. Dad’s Onion Soup is one of those simple dinners with plenty of taste. It’s a quick and easy dish that will feed the family. We used to eat this meal with big bits of bread toasted with cheese on top. It was always so warming on a cold winters night. For me, it was yummy comfort food and one meal I used to look forward to eating.
When Dad started to make this dish, my mum had started to grow vegetables on an allotment. She always grew onions and every year she grew huge amounts. It meant my Dad had to find new dinners to cook so we ate them up. As always, there was no food wasted at home. He didn’t mind as he was very inventive and he thought of making onion soup. I’m so pleased he did as it’s delicious and it’s so easy. Well worth a try.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large Saucepan
- Wooden spoons
- Plastic brush
- Measuring jug
- Onions x 2 large
- Olive oil x enough to cover the base of the pan
- Honey x 2 tbsps
- Tamari or soy sauce x 2 tbsps
- Mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Chicken stock or bone broth x 2 litres
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Homemade Spelt Flour Bread
- Feta cheese x 200g
- Start by peeling and slicing the onions.
- Put the large saucepan on a high heat and add the olive oil.
- Spread the oil around the base of the pan with the plastic brush.
- When the pan is hot, add in the onions and fry until the onions become soft.
- Once they are soft, add in the honey, tamari and mixed herbs.
- Fry for a further 2 minutes, or until the onions become translucent.
- Then add in the stock or bone broth.
- Bring to the boil and leave to simmer.
- Next cut the loaf of bread into slices.
- Then crumble feta cheese on top and put the slices under the grill.
- When the cheese and outside edges of the bread start to turn golden brown remove from the oven.
- Remove the soup from the hob and pour into the bowl.
- Now put the cheesy croutons on top and serve.
- Finally enjoy.
Dad’s Onion Soup with Cheesy Croutons was such a quick meal to make that I was quite surprised. It’s really easy to do and the ingredients in this meal are freezable. So you could make double of this dish or you can freeze the leftovers for another meal. The bread is also suitable for the freezer. It makes a great lunchtime meal or a filling evening meal. However you decide to eat or drink this soup, as always, enjoy.
What are your favourite comfort foods? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx