Turkey is such a great meat that I feel for at least 10 months of the year this poor bird is ignored. Suddenly Christmas rolls around in the UK and we all eat copious amounts of the meat. Then it goes back to being a meat no one will eat again until next year. In this house we have a lot of turkey and we love it. It’s delicious, succulent, juicy, moist and tender – depending on how you cook it.
A few years ago I began to realise there are so many recipes I can make with this one meat. Our local butchers sells turkey mince and I think it’s just as tasty as mince beef. Plus it’s a low fat meat that has slightly less calories than beef and it also has a bit more protein. So I began experimenting with it and I now have lots of great recipes. These meatballs are just one of the many recipes I have started to use mince turkey in.
- Large mixing bowl
- Baking Tray
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pan
- Plastic brush
- Large spoon
Ingredients for the Turkey Meatballs
- Turkey mince x 500g
- Egg x 1
- Milled flax seed x 4 tbsps
- Mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method for making the turkey meatballs
- Preheat the oven to 180° and put in the baking tray.
- Put the turkey mince into the bowl and add the milled flax seed, mixed herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Break the egg into the cup and mix with the fork.
- Add this into the large mixing bowl.
- Now with clean hands, scrunch the ingredients together.
- Once the ingredients are mixed together start to make the meatballs.
- I like to divide the mixture into four even parts that I then shape each of the four parts into four balls, making 16 balls in total
- It means each person receives four balls for dinner.
- When all the meatballs have been made, remove the baking tray from the oven.
- Place all the balls into the tray and put it back into the oven for 25 – 30 minutes.
Ingredients for the BBQ sauce
- Spring Onions x 1 bunch
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Carrots x 2
- Tomatoes x 2 400g tins
- Tamari or soy sauce x 1 tbsp
- Honey x 1 tbsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Ground coriander x 1 tsp
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Mild or hot chilli powder x 1 – 2 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method for the BBQ Sauce
- Slice the spring onions into 1/2 centimetre pieces using the sharp knife.
- Remove the skin from the garlic cloves and slice.
- Grate the carrots using the grater.
- Put a frying pan on a high heat and add oil to the base.
- Spread the oil evenly across the base of the pan with the plastic brush.
- When the pan is hot, put the spring onions in and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Once the onions start to soften, add in the garlic and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Next add in the carrots and keep frying for a further few minutes.
- Sprinkle over the smoked paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander and mild or hot chilli powder and fry for another minute.
- Now pour in the tomatoes and bring them to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and leave to simmer.
- While it’s simmering add in the tamari and honey.
- Plus the salt and pepper to taste.
- Leave on the heat for about 5 minutes, then remove and leave to cool.
- Once cool, pour the mixture into the nutribullet or blender and blend.
- Blend until the ingredients are smooth.
- Remove and put back on a low heat until ready to serve with the meatballs and rice or pasta.
- Then enjoy.
Turkey Meatballs in a BBQ sauce is a delicious dinner that the whole family can enjoy. The bonus is I can play “hide the vegetables” with the tomato sauce. My son, Ted can tend to be a fussy eater so I have to blend a lot of our meals so he doesn’t know he’s eating vegetables. The BBQ sauce is a great way to do it. Ted loves this meal as he thinks it’s turkey meatballs with lots of ketchup. All of the ingredients in this dish can be prepared at the weekend and then frozen for an even quicker mid week meal. We served this meal with brown rice and broccoli as you can see from the pictures. You could eat it with pasta and a nice side salad. However you decide to eat this dinner, as always, enjoy!
Did you love or loathe veg as a kid? I did, but I would love to know if you did? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you and see you all soon. xxx