Sausages are always a guaranteed winner in our house. My little family enjoy a sausage dinner on the weekend and I love making it in my slow cooker. At this time of year, when the sun starts to set earlier there’s nothing I like more than a warm casserole or two. When I use my slow cooker it makes it easier and even more delicious.
Slow cookers are a fantastic way to get a delicious meal on the table without having to stand at the stove for hours. Plus when sausages are cooked in the slow cooker they become juicy and sweet. Which makes this casserole melt in the mouth. We always buy gluten free sausages and they are normally the better quality ones. I’m not saying you have to buy better quality but if you can afford it I do think it’s healthier for the mind and body.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Serving spoon
- Sausages x 4 gluten free
- Onion x 1
- Red pepper x 2
- Yellow pepper x 2
- Sweet potatoes x 800g
- Chicken stock x 250mls
- Tomatoes x 2 400g tins
- Tomato puree x 2 tablespoons
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 – 2 tsps
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spinach x 4 handfuls
- Peel and slice the onion and put it into the slow cooker.
- Remove the core from the peppers and cut into chunks.
- Put these into the slow cooker.
- Then peel the sweet potato, cut into chunks too and put these into the slow cooker.
- Pour over the chicken stock and tomatoes.
- Add in the tomato puree, dried mixed herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix all these ingredients together.
- Now cut the sausages into chunks and put these in the slow cooker too.
- Next put the slow cooker on low for four hours or high for eight.
- Towards the end of the slow cooking add in the spinach.
- Stir the spinach into the sauce carefully and leave until ready to serve.
- Finally serve and enjoy.
A casserole cooked in the slow cooker is a simple but delicious way to feed a family or yourself. Sausage and sweet potato casserole is an easy dish that means you don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen. Plus you can make double of this dinner and put it into the freezer for another occasion. If you are single then the other three portion could be frozen and eaten on another day. However you decide to eat this dinner, as always, enjoy!
What sausage dinners do you enjoy? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx