After making homemade mayonnaise with the egg yolks I always wonder what I should do with the egg whites. It may seem like a cliche to many but there are two desserts I know I can make with the egg white.
Firstly, meringues are a classic sweet treat and I promise to update you with those soon. The second dessert I love to make is chocolate mousse. It’s such a simple but deliciously effective way to use egg whites.
Now I understand everyone’s fear about making the whites stiff. However as long as you have a little bit of patience and pray a lot you should get the results you desire. For me, it took practice to perfect stiffing the egg whites. Once I did I had a yummy dessert in minutes and one my family adores.
- Large mixing bowl
- Electric whisk
- Tea towel
- Small bowl
- Small saucepan
- Small bowls or pots x 4
- Serving spoon
- Egg whites x 2 eggs
- Coconut sugar x 50g
- Dark chocolate x 100g
- Raspberries x 1 large handful
- Separate the whites from the yolks.
- Put the egg whites in the large mixing bowl.
- Place the tea towel under the bowl to stop it from moving.
- Begin to whisk the egg whites and add a little bit of the sugar at the same time.
- Keep whisking and adding sugar bit by bit.
- You may only need to add enough sugar to make the egg whites stiffen.
- Once the egg whites are stiff and you can turn them upside down over your head without them falling from the bowl set them aside.
- Put the small saucepan on the hob and add water.
- Bring the water to the boil and put the small bowl on top of the pan.
- Break up the chocolate and put it into the small bowl.
- Stir the chocolate with the spatula until it’s all melted.
- Then fold the melted chocolate into the egg whites.
- By folding the chocolate you keep the air in the egg whites.
- Continue to fold until the egg whites have been covered in the chocolate.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Once ready to serve add raspberries to the base of the bowl or pot you are going to serve it in and spoon over the mousse.
- Repeat the process for the other 3 bowls.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Chocolate and Raspberry Mousse is a winner in our house. My husband and son love it. It’s a great after dinner treat or you could have it as a sweet treat too. Mousse made with egg whites is normally a very low fat dessert that’s super tasty. You could enjoy this during the summer as a topping to strawberries or blueberries too. However you decide to eat this dessert, as always, please enjoy.
What’s your favourite chocolate pudding? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx