Everyone I know loves a sweet treat and these flapjacks are one of the best. They are sweet, gooey squares of deliciousness. Before I gave up processed foods and sugars, I would have walked to my local shop and bought a certain chocolate bar.
The chocolate bar in question was not my favourite but I probably would have bought one occasionally. Nowadays I have lots of fun trying to recreate a healthier version of the foods I once enjoyed. It can be quite challenging recreating healthy versions but I love a challenge.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- Grease proof paper
- Stirring spoon
- Gluten free oats
- Ground flax seed x 50g
- Puffed rice x 50g
- Coconut sugar or brown sugar x 150g
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Dates x 10 – 12
- Coconut cream x 100mls
- Vegan butter, coconut oil, ghee or unsalted butter x 150g plus extra for greasing the tin
- Vanilla extract x 1 tsp
- Almond or smooth peanut butter x 4 tbsps
- Preheat the oven 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Pre line the baking tray with the grease proof paper.
- To stop the flapjack from sticking, oil the base of the tin and put the paper into it.
- Then oil the paper once it’s inside the tin.
- Now set the tin aside.
- Remove the stones from the dates using the sharp knife.
- Put these into the food processor and add the coconut cream, vegan butter, coconut oil, ghee or unsalted butter, almond or smooth peanut butter and the vanilla extract.
- Blend all of these ingredients together until they are smooth.
- In the large mixing bowl pour the oats, ground flax seed, puffed rice, coconut sugar or brown sugar and the baking powder.
- Mix all of these ingredients together.
- Pour over the wet ingredients and mix until all the dry ingredients are covered in the wet ingredients.
- Put the mixture into the pre-lined baking tray and place in the oven for about 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once the flapjack is cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
Ingredients for the chocolate
- Vegan butter, coconut oil, ghee or unsalted butter x 50g
- Coconut cream x 50mls
- Maple syrup x 50mls
- Raw cacao powder x 4 tbsp
Method for the chocolate
- Put all of the ingredients above into the saucepan.
- Now put the pan on a low to medium heat.
- Stir the ingredients until they are all melted together.
- Then remove from the heat.
- Once the flapjack has cooled, pour over the chocolate and spread it evenly across the top.
- Place the flapjack into the fridge until the chocolate hardens.
- Then slice and serve.
Vegan Toffee Crisp Flapjacks were delicious and we all really enjoyed them. I have used a variety of butters in case it’s difficult to buy vegan butter. So you can make these vegan or vegetarian. These flapjacks are a great sweet treat. My son Ted has been enjoying them as his after school snack and my husband Howard has been eating them for dessert after his dinner. Personally I have been indulging after my lunch. Everyone is out at lunch time and I have been enjoying eating this flapjack all by myself. It’s heaven. However you decide to eat these flapjacks, as always, enjoy!
Do you have family and if so, what sweet treat do you enjoy when everyone’s out? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx